Stability of doubles

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7996 by cdo
Stability of doubles was created by cdo
I am just trying to understand in relative terms how stable doubles are compared to the single ski. For example from the top of my head the Fenn xt single is a bit over 48 cm wide while the double is 52cm....does this mean that the double is much more stable than the already stable single xt? Likewise the Stellar SE2 is 48 cm wide...does this mean that in stability it is about the same as the Stellar SR?
I know these assumptions are too simplistic, but is this logic right or am I totally missed something?
Considering a double for my better 1/2 to use with me hence need a fair amount of stability but not wanting myself to be constantly thinking this thing is slow! Can anyone comment on the stability compared to the same single ski?
Where I live demo boats are a long way away and doubles are as rare as hens teeth here.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by cdo. Reason: typos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7997 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Stability of doubles
Good question, I am wondering the same thing...should I assume that a Single Fenn Elite's stability is the same as a Double Fenn Elite and so on.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #7998 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Re: Stability of doubles
In general, double skis are more stable (and also faster) than single skis, but a lot depends on the relative stability and weights of the 2 paddlers on the double. A stable experienced paddler can paddle with a novice especially if the novice is lighter e.g. a wife or a kid. Alternatively, two equal level paddlers using intermediate skis such as a Fenn XT or Swordfish would generally find that they could paddle a Fenn Elite double together. (Excluding extreme weather conditions.)

If you're currently paddling a Fenn XT and you're looking for a double ski to paddle with a novice then the XT double would be a safer option than the Elite double. The relative speeds of the XT vs Elite are probably similar for the double skis as they are for their single ski equivalents.

I own an Elite single and Elite double and often take novices out for a paddle, but obviously that is in fairly mild conditions.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7999 by Nige
One additional stability comparison for a double ski: I paddle a Fenn Elite single, but often paddle my Elite double with an intermediate level paddler who paddles a Fenn XT. We did a 40km downwind paddle in the sea in 20 knots of wind and had an absolute blast!

Double skis are a lot of fun and have the added safety factor of 2 people paddling together.

More
12 years 9 months ago #8000 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Stability of doubles
Thanks Nige, thats a big help.

Anyone paddled a Fenn Elite double and the Carbonology Viva Double, we have both these boats available in WA and wanted to know how they compared for stability, the Carbonology one is billed as being a race machine...not sure if that equates to stability like the Atom, fast but a handful?!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #8001 by Nige
There were a couple of Carbonology doubles at the SA Ski Champs here in Richards Bay which were very competitive with the Fenn Elites, but unfortunately I never got a chance to ask the guys about their stability. If you want to see some nice pics of the event, go to www.anthonygrote.com/blog/ or see www.zkc.co.za for the race report and some more pics. I sent everything through to Rob Mousley, but he's away at the moment.

More
12 years 9 months ago #8004 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re: Stability of doubles
I've got a Fenn Elite double and I'd say it is quite stable. My wife tried to flip us on purpose one hot day and basically threw herself out of the boat. Her sister has never been in a kayak before and I took her out and surfed small waves with her within 10 minutes. Took another friend (bigger guy, 6'3" 200+lbs) out who had never kayaked and we stayed upright, but it felt like he was doing his best to flip us... he made me work to stay upright, but he's a bigger athletic guy with no balance skills or kayak experience. It doesn't have the same top end speed for me as a single ski, but holds a good cruising speed (ie. wife is a novice and we can hold 12kph over distance). Back seat has a wide catch.

More
12 years 9 months ago #8006 by kiwial
Replied by kiwial on topic Re: Stability of doubles
THe Viva Double is still pretty stable, I have taken out a range of paddlers and probably had the least stable paddler out in the worst conditions, I have yet to capsize it. As Nige said doubles are stable + they teach you alot of skills you just can't learn on a single

More
12 years 9 months ago #8007 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: Stability of doubles
I'll toss my two cents into the mix, as I've an affinity for doubles (Gives you someone to berate in the final stages of a race...), and have owned a few. To date, I've owned both the fg and carbon versions of the XT double, the Stellar Excel Double, and the Fenn Elite in carbon. Currently own the XT carbon and the Elite carbon.

Generally, the double versions of the venerable single boats are noticeably more stable than their 'tea for one' counterparts. I guarantee that someone who swims in an Elite single will stay upright in an Elite double, twitchiness aside. For all around use, it's hard to beat the XT-it has a good turn of speed, and aside from the double rear footwells, and their flexy rear footplates (not so the front one), it's a great boat and loads of fun. The Elite is a bit more 'caffeinated.' It is faster than the XT on flat water, and in the hands of skilled paddlers. Midpackers will likely find themselves faster and more comfortable in conditions in the XT. That said, the Elite is surprising stable for a boat wearing that moniker. The Stellar is in between the two in the mix. It has almost the speed of the Elite, and more stability, but is fairly low volume, hence lighter paddlers will be better off in this boat.

As a doubles paddler (and a mountain tandem cyclist amongst my other hats), the difference in acceleration takes some getting used to-the doubles feel a tad mired when it comes to a quick jump. Likewise, the timing takes some getting used to when dropping in on a run-you accelerate the same way you do on a single ski, only to find your stoker in the rear is yelling at you, because they're chest deep in the wave that just washed over them. Oops. Once firmly on a run though, the sheer mass of the boat gives you a stability to die for. Here I'm thinking of one 16 mile downwind run we did in two doubles, where we basically sprinted and surfed the entire way. We whooped and hollered and were absolutely spent at journey's end.

In a nutshell, can't comment on the Viva as we don't have this marque here in the US, but for family use, the XT is a good pick. If you're on the lighter side, the Stellar is a fine choice, and the Elite is not unmanageable; just know that you will twitch a bit more, and conditions will ramp this feel up quite a bit more.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
12 years 9 months ago #8037 by cdo
Replied by cdo on topic Re: Stability of doubles
Thanks,

Can you comment on how well the Stellar SE2 accomodates someone who is only 5 foot 5 tall?
Given a combined weight of about 140kg the SE2 might be the ski for us.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #9245 by Kneewall49
Replied by Kneewall49 on topic Re: Stability of doubles
My comments: I've owned a glass XT for many years and it's a fabulious boat. I've paddled both the carbon XT and the carbon Elite.

I'm an experienced intermediate paddler.

My experience tells me a couyple of things:
1) an unstable (fast) boat is a slow boat with inexperienced or intermediate paddlers;
2) a slow (stable) boat is faster with inexpeienced or intermediate paddlers;
3) a double boat is used for a greater range of paddlers and thus is better to be a stable boat;
4) In rougher conditions for an immmediate crew they will be faster in a stable boat;
5) your're not going forward if your bracing or if your partner is uncomfortable.

I'd go for an XT glass vaccum, I don't see they value in going to carbon except for an easier carry to the car. The faster paddlers will still beat you if they are in a (slower) boat;

I'd like to knwo what the double Stelar is like, I'm trying to get a ride at present. Also the double Epic. Hopefully next week end I'll be able to give you some more comments.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Kneewall49.

Latest Forum Topics