Paddles(again)

More
13 years 7 months ago #5944 by Draftbuster
Paddles(again) was created by Draftbuster
Im looking at buying a new paddle.But what to get?
Size is one thing, but what shape?
Do I go a parellel blade?Which im told has better power through the middle and end of the stroke.
Or do I go a tear drop shaped paddle?Which im told has more power on the catch and early phase of the stroke but less on the exit.
I planning on paddling in adventure races and ocean races up to 20k.
Im sure im going to be told its all a matter of personal preferance.But why chose one over another.
Im told that tear drop paddles were all the go a few years ago but are now trending to parallel shaped paddles?
Thaughts please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5945 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Paddles(again)
In Australia tear drop referred to "flat" blades that came after "square enders" and before swedish wing and nordic(einar rasmussen) wing . only in recent years have Brasca paddles appeared and they make what they call teardrop and parallel shaped blades.
I personally beleive the bigger "lip" on a(any) blade will make it a lot more "stable" in surf situations.choose that.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #5946 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re:Paddles(again)
damn double post
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by latman.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5949 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re:Paddles(again)
Thanks Latman :) and at two am.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5983 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Re:Paddles(again)
So what shape paddles are the people here using?And what are the top guys n girls using?And any particular reason for choice.
Also preferances for slpit shafts or fixed?

More
13 years 6 months ago #5984 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Paddles(again)
Here's my take on the subject:

Grab as many paddles you see in your travels and give them a go.
If you find one that you are reasonably comfortable with, buy it.
You're going to have to start somewhere and you won't know what you need until you have found fault with what you got.
Probably err towards a popular brand, model and size for your first as they will be easy to get hold of and easy to sell if it is not what you want.

Then, when you know that what you have is not as good a match for you as it should be, use this simple guide.

Teardrop shaped, stronger catch.
Parallel, softer catch, easier release for same area blade.
Size I believe is more related to your weight than anything else.

Just because you are fast does not mean you need a bigger paddle. Paddling fast means turning the paddle over quicker, and that means faster movement of the paddle through the water. Faster movement, more lift, so a bigger paddle may not be needed to go faster.

More twist in the blade usually has a cleaner exit, but is less forgiving if you place it in the water not quite as you should.

Length will vary with your height/ body proportions and your musculature, so a good range of adjustment to find what suits is a bonus.

Split shafts are so much easier to fit in the car.

Lighter is always better until it breaks or your bank balance runs dry.

What ever the top guys use can have more to do with who sponsors them.
Paddles from all makes are remarkably alike, there's not too many shockers in the realm of the upper end.

Short answer, just try heaps, don't be scared to try something that you think will not suit, it may surprise you.
So when you have tried a few and found out general characteristics each posses, then you can begin the search for the magic paddle that blends all the idiosyncrasies that suits you into one.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 6 months ago #5985 by mckengmsurfski
Replied by mckengmsurfski on topic Re:Paddles(again)
For me, paddles are even more of a 'personal preference' choice than my skis. Its similar to buying running shoes in that what works really well for one person may not work at all for you.
There was certainly a lot of trial and error before I finally found a paddle that seemed to really work for me. I've tried a couple of different Epic paddles, a Select Kayak Rush paddle, a Knynsa Swing Classic, an Onno, a Bratcha IV. In the end I've wound up with a couple of Jantex Gamma (a Mid and a small) paddles. It was one of those things where after 5 minutes, I knew it was the paddle for me. I've gone back and tried others since but it always just re-affirms my choice. I've had friends try my paddles and they prefer theirs, so there you go, everyone is different.
You can talk about shape and twist and all that stuff but the bottom line is, as Rightarmbad says, you just have to get your hands on a bunch of paddles and try them out.
Buy a split shaft for sure. They are easier to transport, ship, and store, and you can play with your length and offset as much as you like. This also helps if someone else is going to use your paddle. Plus, if you decide to sell it you're more likely to sell an adjustable paddle that one that is fixed.
Top guys and girls are using a variety of paddles from what I can tell: Jantex, Epic, Fenn, Bennett, Knysna Racing, Orka all seem to be well represented. But really this shouldn't matter, you want what works for you, not what works for these VO2 max monsters who represent some of the most skilled paddlers in the world. What works for them, or even for me or your paddling friends, is irrelevant, you have to try a bunch out and find what 'fits' you.
Mark

Latest Forum Topics