Aussie Kayaker breaks own leg to free himself

More
15 years 6 months ago #2457 by [email protected]
Why I don't paddle rivers...!

www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_i...0915152155564C638409

Sydney - An Australian kayaker gritted his teeth and snapped his own leg to avoid drowning when his upturned craft became lodged under a tree, news reports said on Monday.

The 38-year-old was paddling with friends on Victoria's remote West Kiewa River on Sunday when the accident happened.

"If he didn't break his leg to free himself, he was going to drown,"
paramedic Anthony de Wit told Australia's AAP news agency.

"The river flow was so great, he was trapped under the tree and broke his leg to free himself and avoid drowning." - Sapa-dpa

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #2460 by garykroukamp
I wonder if the Aussie kayaker was paddling a white water boat or a K1?

I enjoy the contrast between the river paddling and surfski, and look forward to the start of the season while the other is winding up. I'm sure paddling both is good for your paddling even if only because you are paddling more often and can keep going all year round. In South Africa, at least on the coast this seems to be the norm, with most top paddlers doing both. For example Hank McGregor and Dawid Mocke are now the reigning South African K2 (river) champions as well as Double Surfski champions. Does this happen elsewhere too?

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
15 years 6 months ago #2470 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re:Aussie Kayaker breaks own leg to free himself
I know a number of paddlers who feel safer close to land than out at sea, but it is generally the land that is the dangerous bit with the snags, blocks and suck-backs. I have heard some river horror-stories, of people getting sucked under causeways, snagged on rocks and pulled into tree blocks. But it is awesome to paddle down a fast flowing river.

Latest Forum Topics