Rudder for weeds/waves combo

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #40567 by SpaceSputnik
Hey All.

I paddle a Nelo 520 in the open lake Ontario. This time of the summer and especially this year we get a lot of vegetation debris floating around. So the net result is the areas of confused changing swell and rebound with crap that wants to wrap around my vertical stock nelo rudder. Not a particularly happy combination.
I am looking into an idea of a better rudder for this situation.
I.e. something that is angled for weeds but not too small as in a small marathon rudder you would use in calm conditions.
520 is a stable and agile boat so I am ok losing some of the handling characteristics of the stock rudder as long as this loss is somewhat reasonable.
So, thoughts on specific rudders?
Something from DK perhaps?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #40568 by Arcturus
Mine came with the weed rudder installed; the standard rudder also was in a blue nylon Nelo bag that contained a small waterproof soft case and a tiny Allen wrench. Did you receive those with your purchase?
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Arcturus.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #40569 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Rudder for weeds/waves combo
Yes. No question. Definitely something from DK. And at least a small weed deflector.
Contact Don directly and he will make a recommendation specifically for you, your boat and your local waters.
All of my skis have custom DK rudders and they are all the better for it. The right rudder can completely transform a ski.
I could bore you with recommendations regarding leading edge angles, chord and span but Don is the expert. Tell him exactly what you are trying to achieve and he will make you the right rudder. You might end up needing more than one rudder to optimally cover all scenarios. I have up to 4 DK rudders for some skis which I swap out depending on conditions and my motivation on the day.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #40570 by SpaceSputnik

Yes. No question. Definitely something from DK. And at least a small weed deflector.
Contact Don directly and he will make a recommendation specifically for you, your boat and your local waters.
All of my skis have custom DK rudders and they are all the better for it. The right rudder can completely transform a ski.
I could bore you with recommendations regarding leading edge angles, chord and span but Don is the expert. Tell him exactly what you are trying to achieve and he will make you the right rudder. You might end up needing more than one rudder to optimally cover all scenarios. I have up to 4 DK rudders for some skis which I swap out depending on conditions and my motivation on the day.
Yep, got in touch with him and ordered based on his recommendation. Deflector I already have on.
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by SpaceSputnik.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #40571 by SpaceSputnik

Mine came with the weed rudder installed; the standard rudder also was in a blue nylon Nelo bag that contained a small waterproof soft case and a tiny Allen wrench. Did you receive those with your purchase?

No second rudder in my bag. A wave deflector, phone case, manual and protective stickers. The Allen key is stored behind the foot plate, in a molded holder.
This is current gen 520. I recall watching an older video with Oscar showing the kit and it contained different items such as a smaller bailer for instance.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40576 by MMaister
I paddle under similar conditions with my 550 and I also have a DK rudder for weedless surfing. It is a compromise, as the turns are far less snappy compared to the stock surf rudder, but it gives enough authority and it sheds off the weeds nicely.

More
9 months 1 week ago #40578 by SpaceSputnik

I paddle under similar conditions with my 550 and I also have a DK rudder for weedless surfing. It is a compromise, as the turns are far less snappy compared to the stock surf rudder, but it gives enough authority and it sheds off the weeds nicely.

I think I am ok with that for this particular time of the year since weeds on the rudder almost kill the turning ability and cut the speed in half. Other times the stock rudder is fine usually.

Latest Forum Topics