Summer water shoe recommendations

More
10 months 1 week ago #40510 by DrA5
Looking for warm weather footwear with specific parameters. I cannot paddle barefoot, as a majority of my launches are not sand beaches. Instead broken bottles and fish hooks can be present at slippery, concrete boat launches, some with zebra mussels. I have slip on high ankle wetsuit booties for cold weather but would like a well draining, very flexible (i.e. "barefoot shoe") foot cover for summer paddling, low ankle if possible. No Vibram "finger" shoes as I haven't ever found a pair that fit my toes with any degree of comfort. I also don't want laces/thick laces, as I want a snag free entry behind the footstrap. A thin velcro closure flap could work though.

I know I am being picky, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. Amazon is full of Chinese knock off water shoes that don't really inspire confidence in being good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago - 10 months 1 week ago #40511 by Atlas
I'm happy with my Vaikobi Speed-Grip split toe boot. The thin velcro strap across the front of the ankle doesn't snag on my foot-strap, although my feet aren't huge and my strap isn't super tight. They are not well drained but a hole punch or soldering iron would fix that.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Atlas.

More
10 months 1 week ago #40512 by mrcharly
I use cheap as chips neoprene 'slippers' from decathlon.

They have a rubber sole that seems to stand up to barnacles ok, and the 500m walk along the bitumen road to the water.

These things: www.decathlon.co.uk/p/kayak-or-stand-up-...-p-300778?mc=8405517

More
10 months 1 week ago #40513 by Ronbo
I'm really happy with my Palm Paw booties. Solid enough sole that I can walk over reasonably rough surfaces without wearing out quickly. Thin enough to still have a good "feel" on the rudder. Narrow enough that my big toes don't click against each other when working the rudder.

paddlerezine.com/palm-paw-shoes/

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #40547 by agooding2
I’ve been very happy with the Astral Water shoes, very light flexible and grippy, soft laces not interfere with pullbars and removable soles and non rotting interior so they last for years. Worth the price. My first pair, the standard ones last three years until I lost one in the surf. Now I use the AC version which are not quite as durable but they dry super quick so worth it.

— Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #40552 by SpaceSputnik
Just as an idea if all else fails - walk in sandals then hop on the boat, take them off and stow under bungees?
I am considering that for the summer, having black booties on feels like it inches me towards heat stroke.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #40553 by agooding2
I know a lot of people who do the sandals, barefoot thing. Another in between option that my paddling buddy swears by are these for $12 each, he’s been using a pair for the past year: www.amazon.com/dp/B07BVQ4X9F?psc=1&smid=...ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

— Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

Latest Forum Topics