Nelo Handles

More
11 months 2 days ago - 11 months 2 days ago #40474 by SpaceSputnik
Nelo Handles was created by SpaceSputnik
Hey All.
I paddle a current gen Nelo 520L. As you may know they come without side carry handles and Nelo sells handles you can epoxy on. I have those but they look kinda questionable.
Have anybody used those? They work well for you? I am thinking I could design/print my own if needs be.
Also, would you risk attaching using heavy duty silicone tape? For example Scotch tape I have is outdoor use and rated at 30lb (the ski is 27lb). I use it for my weed deflector and it stays put just fine, but this is not a load bearing application.
(In theory I could design handles with a large surface pad for the tape to grab on to)
Thank you.
Last edit: 11 months 2 days ago by SpaceSputnik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 day ago #40475 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Nelo Handles
I had a nelo 550 g2. It was a great all around ski. I did like the carry handles. Nelo has an instructional video on how to sand and epoxy them on with some little tricks to keep in neat and aligned. As far as that double side foam mounting tape, it is incredibly strong stuff. Though I would worry about adhesive loosening as the boat sits in the sun with the black carbon handle getting hot. Maybe it would not be an issue but the thought occurred to me.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
11 months 1 day ago #40476 by TomVW
Replied by TomVW on topic Nelo Handles
I also have a Nelo 550L - Gne2 and love the handles. Makes lowering the ski from my shoulder with wet hands more secure. I didn't realize how much I missed them on my gen1 550 previously.

I was initially worried that they would chafe my legs, since they stick out (or in) in the bucket, but that s not the case.

On the other hand, 3D printing similar handles should not be a difficult. I pondered it myself, but since they were only 10EURO from an online shop, I just bought and glued them.
I also think double-sided tape would be strong enough to attach them as the load on the handles when carrying is mostly shear and not traction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpaceSputnik

More
11 months 1 day ago #40477 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Nelo Handles

I had a nelo 550 g2. It was a great all around ski. I did like the carry handles. Nelo has an instructional video on how to sand and epoxy them on with some little tricks to keep in neat and aligned. As far as that double side foam mounting tape, it is incredibly strong stuff. Though I would worry about adhesive loosening as the boat sits in the sun with the black carbon handle getting hot. Maybe it would not be an issue but the thought occurred to me.

Yeah, I watched the video and kinda leery of doing that - the epoxies surface seems rather small. And I'd prefer a non-permanent solution so I can fine tune the position to offset it for the weight of a water bottle under the bungee or something like that .

If I print my own I can do them in a light color so they don't get as hot, although heat is not that big an issue around here.

More
11 months 22 hours ago #40478 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Nelo Handles
I would be concerned with tape 'cause my experience is that it often fails abruptly.

If you would like a non-permanent solution, consider placing a 2"/5cm wide clear shower anti-slip tape (3M has that) below the edge of the bucket (on the inside of the bucket). I have a 1m length on both my V10 and V12, about 2cm down from the top. I can carry the ski one-handed with barely a grip as the tape provides pretty secure hold onto just my fingers. I've never even noticed the tape when surfskiing, incl remounts. Overall it provides a very secure grip onto a long portion of the bucket edge. It's removable, you can grab anywhere, it's barely noticeable on a white bucket, it's cheap, it has held up for several years now.

More
11 months 19 hours ago #40479 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Nelo Handles
Personally I would never use any form of tape, most are not UV stable and will let go at some time.

But the main issue I have is, you have a great big hole in the cockpit and if it comes off you ARE sinking. I repair skis with very small holes in the cockpit and you won't believe how much water they let in.

Also, doing it yourself and you are not 100% in composite ability? Recipe for disaster! Many things can go wrong. Like cutting the hole too big or in wrong position, not sanding ski and handle enough for good bond, contaminating surfaces with dodgy solvents, using wrong epoxy, not mixing epoxy properly......List goes on.

More
11 months 17 hours ago #40480 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Nelo Handles
Ranga you must be thinking of a different sort of handle such as a recessed handle. The nelo product that the OP is asking about is simply glued on to the inside of the bucket. No holes are made in the ski. It is not as nice in the hand as a recessed handle but it does make a ski easier to carry.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
Attachments:

More
11 months 11 hours ago #40481 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Nelo Handles
Yes, clearly something different to what I have seen before.

More
11 months 7 hours ago #40482 by SpaceSputnik
I would NEVER make any holes in a 1 yo ski :D

For those who have installed Nelo handles. Looking at a pair I have sitting around I am confused. It's really not protruding all that much. How do you do you grab it? Wrapping hand over the top of the wall and hooking fingers under? The walls on 520 are thick and I have short fingers so that wouldn't work.

More
11 months 3 hours ago - 11 months 3 hours ago #40483 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Nelo Handles
I doubt any holing is involved. My 2019 520 S came with the “handles” installed, a very good thing. How the *#$@! do you carry one without the shallow indents known as the handles???

Even with the handles installed, I carried the ski with great difficulty. Had to hold it diagonally across my body at the hip (bucket facing away from me), with one hand grasping into the topside handle from above, and the other hand supporting the ski by curving around below the bottomside gunnel. The fingers grasping that shallow indent would not have adequate grip without the hand supporting the gunnel on the other ski side from below. The lower hand’s thumb went into the lower-side indent.

These handles are more like grippy surfaces than actual handles, IMO. The ski is light enough to easily shoulder-carry...but there’s no place to secure the ski from slipping off the shoulder. With real handles on the sides, it could have been done safely.

I wrote that I carried (past tense) the 520 because I just got a different ski that has real handles. And wow, carrying it on the shoulder is a breeze now. Such a small detail that makes a huge difference to those of us who can’t side-tuck an elite-width ski under broad shoulders with long male arms. The 520 would have to be much narrower and shallower for me to do that.

Don’t overthink installing the Nelo grip aids. I can’t fathom trying to carry the 520 with fingers on bare gelcoat. Put the grips on and go paddle.
Last edit: 11 months 3 hours ago by Arcturus.

More
11 months 3 hours ago - 11 months 3 hours ago #40484 by Arcturus
Zachhandler,

If that is the Nelo grip, it is different from what came with mine.
Last edit: 11 months 3 hours ago by Arcturus.

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #40486 by Morto
Replied by Morto on topic Nelo Handles
These work really well, especially when the ski is inside the Nelo sock - because the factory puts them right on the balance point you can just feel around inside the cockpit until you find the handle and pick it up confident that you won't lose control of it.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #40487 by SpaceSputnik

Don’t overthink installing the Nelo grip aids. I can’t fathom trying to carry the 520 with fingers on bare gelcoat. Put the grips on and go paddle.

They are clearly not going to work for my hands/thick walls, so not going to bother. I can armpit-carry using both hands, the issue with that is more of the convenience (need to tuck the paddle under bungees so it's one trip) and somewhat awkward posture. The latter also applies to shoulder-carry which I can also do.

I guess one possible line of thinking would be making some sort of soft handles (base with strap attached), but I am not a hurry to epoxy something like that to this, otherwise totally awesome, boat.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #40489 by MMaister
Replied by MMaister on topic Nelo Handles
I bought these and I have hesitated for almost 2 years to put them on as I could manage without them and I have been worried about the fuss to install them,
Well during the winter overhaul I finally installed them, and it was the best upgrade I have done on my 550. It makes the lifting and handling soo much safer and easier. Highly recommended!
A few extra tips beside the Nelo guidelines:
- First secure them on by some adhesive tape (even masking tape will do the job) to test the position properly. Mark it by a marker when you have nailed it.
- When the position was set, I attached an adhesive sandpaper right there, inside the bucket and I sanded the grip until its contact surface was perfectly shaped to fit the target surface of the bucket. Remove the sandpaper from the bucket when it is done.
- After I applied the epoxy glue, and I fine-adjusted the handle in its place, I secured it by clamps to the bucket until the glue was hardened. It will ensure 0 gap and perfect contact. Don`t forget to clean the excess glue by acetone before you leave it for hardening.
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by MMaister.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #40490 by Arcturus
SpaceSputnik, I carry my ski and paddle in one trip from vehicle to in water. I put the paddle sections under the bungies before lifting the ski. It works best to put the blade ends toward the cockpit instead of toward the rear.

The gripping aids are not what I consider handles, but they’re better than nothing...for me. Different hand and body dimensions = YMMV. Good luck figuring out a more comfortable carry.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #40492 by SpaceSputnik

SpaceSputnik, I carry my ski and paddle in one trip from vehicle to in water. I put the paddle sections under the bungies before lifting the ski. It works best to put the blade ends toward the cockpit instead of toward the rear.

I do exact same. I lined up the area under the bungees and all the way towards the bucket with transparent ducktape to avoid scuffs.

The gripping aids are not what I consider handles, but they’re better than nothing...for me. Different hand and body dimensions = YMMV. Good luck figuring out a more comfortable carry.

Thanks you.

Latest Forum Topics