Gopro mast solutions

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago #39993 by alex_s
Gopro mast solutions was created by alex_s
I'm interested in hearing your comments about attaching a gopro camera on a mast to the rear of my surfski (say, just forward of the rudder port)? I'm contemplating using either their suction cup assembly (taped down too) with a separate stay (of sorts) attached using a standard flat surface sticky mount, or perhaps using their larger surfboard sticky mount.

i figure the mast will be about 80cms or so high (plus the mount attachment height) - just high enough to sit at head height or so.

Any ideas? TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39996 by [email protected]
One of the key aspects to this is that you need to attach the mast as solidly as possible so that the camera doesn't wobble - which really spoils the video.

It's not so difficult to build a mast, check this out: www.surfski.info/latest-news/story/1664/...ra-mast-project.html

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atlas

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #39997 by alex_s
Replied by alex_s on topic Gopro mast solutions
That's impressive! Certainly makes my effort over the weekend of a section of PVC pressure pipe screwed onto gopro connectors look pathetic :) I'll have to give it a try...

More
1 year 8 months ago #39999 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Gopro mast solutions
If you want to try various thing before committing to a full glass/carbon mount, I recommend the "Fat Gecko" suction cup mounts (use your fav search engine). I have been using them for years and they are very solid. I always use a lanyard but have not had any come loose. The big benefit is that it takes just a minute to mount, requires no tape, and offers the opportunity to experiment with different positions. (The tallest mast I've used is 60cm with a two-cup mount.) I'm using a gopro and find that it deals fine with a bit of wiggle that the mounts have. Once you know what you want a custom glass/carbon mount molded to the specific spot of your surfski will be lighter and more rigid.

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #40002 by alex_s
that's a good idea - i might give the fat gecko a go for a quick solution.... :)

More
1 year 8 months ago #40009 by pnwpaddler
Replied by pnwpaddler on topic Gopro mast solutions
I made one out of carbon fiber for my oc1, haven't gotten around to making one yet for my Vega. Stays very secure with just a bit of duct tape. Used it in the Gorge last week with no worries.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alex_s

More
1 year 8 months ago #40010 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Gopro mast solutions
Made a few already. Just tape it down, the least you have the better for rigidity.
My one has two pieces, one for extra height and one for traveling, one piece can't fit into standard suitcase.
I use old split shaft paddle for the joining.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carcharodon, alex_s

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #40011 by alex_s
Someone should make and sell these….!

More
1 year 8 months ago #40013 by Dratz
Replied by Dratz on topic Gopro mast solutions
Carbon fibre adjustable “quad” walking cane, with go pro clip-in mounts epoxied into each of the sawn off feet. The flat mounts are now on the rear deck of the ski. Four thumb screws to do up each time; matter of seconds.
Attachments:

More
1 year 8 months ago #40014 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Gopro mast solutions
Nice work Dratz. Very slick! Great idea.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #40015 by alex_s
That’s cool. Where’d you get a carbon fibre walking frame from?!

More
1 year 8 months ago #40016 by tve

That’s cool. Where’d you get a carbon fibre walking frame from?!

Looks like www.amazon.com/Vive-Quad-Cane-Lightweigh...stable/dp/B07L4MN5SR

More
1 year 8 months ago #40017 by zachhandler
Which gopro mounts do i need to buy to replicate your setup Dratz?

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
1 year 8 months ago #40018 by Dratz
Replied by Dratz on topic Gopro mast solutions
Four of these with the nut part removed and the threaded screw epoxied in the bottom of the legs. These then mount on a standard curved go pro mount.
The top of the pole has a spike mount, because the plastic spike with a bit of trimming fits snugly into the hollow carbon tube.

www.camgo.com.au/store/p143/1/4-screw-mo...Qfhug-AaAgVrEALw_wcB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carcharodon

More
1 year 8 months ago #40019 by zachhandler
I am going to try that dratz. Ill put a set of curved mounts on my single and my double. Here in the US at least I can’t buy the gopro bits in the number I need. They come in mix packs with not enough of the pieces I need and lots of bits I don’t kneed. Reviews of cheaper off brand parts suggest cheap brittle plastic. Are you using gopro branded stuff or the cheap ones?

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #40048 by alex_s
The end result
Attachments:

More
1 year 8 months ago #40049 by tve
Looks great!

• alex_s
  • Visitor
1 year 8 months ago #40051 by alex_s
Cheers. The first iteration had the fat gecko dual ball joint extension in place, but that was near impossible to lock down enough.

Those suction cups are solid!

Latest Forum Topics