First boat - Epic V8 v V8 Pro v V9

More
1 year 9 months ago #39905 by Deusexvelo
Hi Folks,

Getting into surf ski paddling after spending time on sea kayaks really so I can start doing more downwinding in not too crazy conditions off the coast of Sydney, Australia.

I currently paddle a Mazu 55 on a lake that gets a bit of wind and am very comfortable but the boat is rented and I am looking at getting my own.

I will probably paddle it mostly in the lake and then when conditions are right go to the harbour and also to the ocean.

My question, I have paddled the V8 and the V8 pro and they woudl probably be fine for me but I would like to think about getting a boat that pushed me a bit more so I dont have to buy one then sell it in less than a year.

Would the V9 be too much of a jump for a relative novice in the ocean? I wont be able to test paddle on in the ocean so hard to gauge.

thanks for your patience and I have read the other threads.
Jackie Barfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39906 by [email protected]
Given your experience with Sea Kayaks and given that you've already tried the V8 & V8 Pro, I'd say that the V9 would probably be in the sweet spot for you.

I've owned both Epic boats and Fenn boats; I'm currently on the older Fenn Swordfish S. I've paddled the V9 and the V8 Pro and find the V9 a very stable, but very fun boat. It's more lively, more responsive than the V8 Pro, but I'd say it's still perceptibly more stable than the Swordie.

I think the main aim should be to have fun - you don't want to feel like you're paddling a barge, but you don't want to be so unstable that you feel frustrated. Given the choice, I'd go for the V9.

Worth considering though, that the resale value of either boat should be really good, so you can't really go wrong either way.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deusexvelo

More
1 year 9 months ago #39907 by LaPerouseBay

Hi Folks,

My question, I have paddled the V8 and the V8 pro and they woudl probably be fine for me but I would like to think about getting a boat that pushed me a bit more so I dont have to buy one then sell it in less than a year.
Would the V9 be too much of a jump for a relative novice in the ocean? I wont be able to test paddle on in the ocean so hard to gauge.

Jackie Barfly

I had an 8P for a few years and loved it. I got the 8P for more safety in big ocean wind. It was so much fun after struggling in elite boats. Big fan of "beginner" boats in big wind/seas.

I moved into the 9 almost a year ago. I wouldn't worry about the 9 being more of a challenge than the 8P. I found the opposite to be true.

The 9 is more forgiving if you take a surprise plunge down the face of a steep wave. Get the 9, It's designed for open ocean surfing. The 8P is actually less stable surfing in the ocean, due to the flatter rocker. The fun is in carving around on waves. The 9 is good at that. If you are comfy in the 8P bucket, the 9 will fit.

downwind dilettante

More
1 year 9 months ago #39908 by Atlas
Sydney is the best place in Australia for demo paddling surf skis. I find it hard to believe that you cannot properly test paddle all of the skis you are thinking about spending $5000 or so on.
If you don't want to buy a ski only to have to sell it in a year then I would suggest not buying a ski you have not demoed properly.
If your motivation for buying a ski is to paddle downwind then you need to be stable on the ski you buy. The V9 is a brilliant downwind ski. However it is less stable than 99% of sea kayaks. Light weight paddlers in particular can find it a bit corky and the cockpit is far from snug. I personally don't find the bucket to be very comfortable. YMMV.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
1 year 9 months ago #39911 by Terry davison
I have owned & paddled all 3 of these. I currently paddle a V9 Elite in Lake Michigan where in can get very big quickly. The V9 is a much better ski in rough, or DW conditions. If you already have a V8 Pro & paddle on small lakes or rivers then selling or trading for a V9 isn't really necessary.
Good luck.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39922 by Deusexvelo
Thanks,

I can demo all the boats on a lagoon but not open ocean on waves which is why I want to get some of the responses above regarding surfing waves.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39926 by zachhandler
If you want a boat that surfs in waves get the V9

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics