Adding a classified section

More
2 years 4 months ago #39246 by sarzelopez
This is without a doubt the best site for everything ski related. 

Would there be a way to have a classified section? I know there is a never used thread but it seeems a dedicated section would be better. 

It just crossed my mind now that surfskinews went down. I used that page exclusively for the classifieds. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #39249 by [email protected]
Interesting.
I'm debating the future of surfski.info right now.  Up until now, the sport has been so small and niche that it's been a labour of love and has cost me to run it.
But clearly, surfski is expanding all over the world and there may be some way for me to pay for it and even make some pocket money out of it, which would be nice after a 17 year (so far) project!
Ok.  I'll see what I can do - there are classifieds modules that I could add.  Debating whether to move the whole thing to something like Wix as a platform too.  Hmm...  Watch this space!
Thanks for the feedback!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
2 years 3 months ago #39283 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Adding a classified section
I also used surfskinews.com for classifieds, both posting/selling, and buying.   Posting was free.  I am in SE USA and they were based in same area and many of the ads had skis in the area.  Where do I go now?  surfskiracing.com is good.  Most skis seem to be in NE USA, which is where they are based.  Many of their skis are almost new with only very slight discounts to new.  There is a fee to post.  kayaktrader.com is good, but not many skis on it. Also a fee to post.  Where do others go for buying or selling used skis in SE USA?  

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
2 years 3 months ago #39284 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Adding a classified section
I hear you. The only additional place you can really look is on Facebook Marketplace.  

More
2 years 3 months ago #39285 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Adding a classified section
Honestly, I would prefer for the existing forum to be fixed (or better, moved to some decent forum software)...

More
2 years 3 months ago #39287 by mrcharly
I'm a longstanding member of a cycling forum. When it was set up, it was recognised that running the forum had a cost (it is quite popular, so just hosting isn't cheap).

We asked for voluntary regular contributions; I donate £1 a month. 
The small but regular contributions add up. They normally cover all hosting costs and leave enough over to get the 'webmaster' a nice gift each year (I think last year he was able to buy a new computer).

More
2 years 3 months ago #39288 by CrabStick
I'm sure there would be no shortage of contributors and users who would be happy to make a donation. We have had the benefit of collective wisdom and great articles / reviews for many years and really shouldn't expect Rob to run at a loss.
In addition, I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that lives may have been saved by the safety advice provided by Rob and the opportunity to reflect on tragedies and near misses. Let's all help to keep it going!

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill L

More
2 years 3 months ago #39289 by venicebum
CrabStick, robin.mousley, 

Well said CrabStick, I'm in... adding a classified section would be an awesome addition to an already great site I've used for years.

Where can I send a "donation" Rob??  Let's make it happen.

Thanks again Rob,
Matt

More
2 years 3 months ago #39290 by LaPerouseBay

I'm sure there would be no shortage of contributors and users who would be happy to make a donation. We have had the benefit of collective wisdom and great articles / reviews for many years and really shouldn't expect Rob to run at a loss.

I'm in.  Whether or not Robin keeps this forum running.  Cool site.  I learned a ton about safety here.  

downwind dilettante

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #39293 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Adding a classified section
A correction is needed for a post regarding my site Surfskiracing.com classifieds. I post surf skis for sale all over the USA including CA, FL, New England, etc with an extraordinarily high success rate of selling the ski for that owner for a small fee.  I also have the added value of knowing what price point used skis go for and help the customer price their skis if they need that.  I used to post them for free in my early days. Surfskinews launched promoting free ads after my site had been up for years. Their site is no longer active.  I have charged for my classified ads which pays for the site maintenance, my time, expertise in surfskis. As website owners know, websites cost money.  I have limited advertising on my site, no annoying blinking ads, pop-ups, etc. It is a clean site for better viewership. Many hundreds of paddlers have enjoyed this feature of my site. 

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by wesley.

More
2 years 3 months ago #39298 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Adding a classified section
Rob Mousely: "I'm debating the future of surfski.info right now. "

A great shame if surfski.info to disappear altogether Rob! No question the time and financial demands for you running the site, short of a Wix re-invention though what about some sort of donation rider as found on many sites. Sure not everyone going to contribute but this one way at least to cover some costs. Unlikely to provide beer money but maybe some coin to offset domain fees etc. I make a point of donating to sites I use regularly, like Wikipedia the other day but did so (again) only because I was reminded. I can hear your mind ticking over 'more effing work' haha which is true but maybe an interim measure worth a crack. 

More
2 years 3 months ago #39319 by mickeyA
FYI, surfskinews.com is back up.  I do not see them as competition to this site as their big draw is free classifieds (USA only), while this site’s main draw is this forum.  They even posted a nice video of Pete Marlin race.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
1 year 4 months ago #40205 by mickeyA
It looks like surfskinews.com classifieds are done—again. I enjoy Wesley’s classified section on SurfSkiRacing.org with boats all over USA. What I used to like about craigslist before it became nothing but scammers, then surfskinews, was that there were many cheap, beater, older, maybe fixer uppers skis. I bought probably 10 skis off free sites, sold 5. Maybe these type of boats were listed because the postings were free. There were many in the SE part of the country as well. Where are those cheaper boats listed these days? If I’m listing a 1 yr old pristine condition ski, I’m going to SurfSkiRacing.org, but if I have a $500 beater, I probably will not. I know I could...just my opinion. There used to be way more older skis being offered on the free sites. Are they just not selling them anymore, or is there another craigslist, eBay, surfskinews, paddlemonster, etc out there for older skis? Wesley, would a “free listing for skis under $1,000” make sense, help bring these skis out of retirement? If not, I fully understand. To the original poster’s question, does a classified section make sense here? One sight used to ask for tips if boat was sold from free listing, honor system. Just a thought. Thanks.

Latest Forum Topics