Off Topic - 1987 Merv Larson Waveski - where to start?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #35367 by MCImes
Anyone out there paddle waveski? I need some advice on where to start - I got a ~1987 Merv Larson Design waveski (in frickin’ mint condition!)  at 9.5ft x 24"along with a older (90s?) Lightning whitewater style paddle and immediately took it for a paddle

Im amazed by how unstable it feels! I am used to a 45cm Fenn Swordfish in large open ocean conditions with reflected swell and off angle wind, but the board has a completely different stability profile I will need to get used to (as in low primary, zero secondary. what's the trick to mastering a waveski? same as surfski? that is, just get used to it). Also, it seems that since the entire waterline is in the water at all times, it wants to follow the angle of the wave and has no stability reserve. completely different feel than the SF which has deep, progressive, and reliable secondary, which is why I love it.

I didnt unintentionally capsize, but wasnt  comfortable either (and it was basically dead flat conditions). I suppose it feels better when actually planing, so you can lean onto the paddle heavily while carving, or just in general. I intentionally capsized several times while I was belted/footstrapped in, as I know rolling in all conditions is of    extreme importance to waveski, and I have no rolling background at all. I failed horribly as one would probably expect your first time, and need some guidance about proper technique for rolling a waveski (and rolling in general). Anyone with a sea kayak background, im trying to learn to roll on a board...that sounds easy :) where to start?

Considering I know very little about rolling, are there any particularly useful resources out there?

Im Looking forward to learning this new paddlecraft. The long period swell of the winter is too shallow to surf on the surfski in open water, but produces some impressive shorebreak I’ve been eyeing to ride when my skills are up to snuff. I love the fin-less style waveski. The way merv plays on the wave is like ballet on a wave.

Long live the legend!
vimeo.com/108750972
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by MCImes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35368 by tve
Did you just miss the Ventura Paddle Surfing Champs two weeks ago?

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 5 months ago #35380 by MCImes
Bummer, yes, never heard of the event before. I'll have to mark it on m calendar for next year. Where did you hear about it?

More
4 years 5 months ago #35381 by tve
FYI, to get tips on the rolling you could do worse than joining the CKF folks on a sunday morning at Channel Islands Harbor. When I've joined them I've always seen them practice rolls. (To their surprise I did a successful surfski-style remount on a sit-in kayak.)
Here's the announcement for yesterday, it' the same every sunday, though:
Paddling from Channel Islands Harbor, Sunday October 27th.
There will be a number of California Kayak Friends (CKF) paddlers launching
from Kiddie Beach Park in Channel Islands Harbor, in Oxnard, Sunday
morning at 9:00 and land at about noon.  We practice safe paddling. Must have a PFD & whistle. Sit in kayaks
need a skirt. Dress for the weather and water conditions.
Generally there are some that paddle a distance (6 to 10 miles), some paddle
shorter distances, some like to surf, and others that paddle in the
harbor.
Join us if you wish, all are welcome.

More
4 years 4 months ago #35661 by tve
This is your ticket:  laurazulliger.com/classes/intro-surf-kayaking
It's up in Bolinas, CA, so a nice little road trip :-)

More
1 year 8 months ago #39951 by sbaussie
I know this response is to an older post but thought I would try anyway. You wrote about a Merv Designs waveski . We are trying to find one for show off at the World Waveski Championships in Ventura this November. So if you still have it or know where it went I would be interested if you wanted to sell. Designs have changed quite radically since Merv's day but it is just such a cool piece.
Just Checking Mike

Latest Forum Topics