How about a new surfski measurement? - Volume

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #29896 by Fath2o
For decades there were three measurements for surfboards - length,
width and thickness. Now that virtually all surfboards are designed and shaped with the assistance of computers there is an additional measurement of volume. The volume measurement can be especially helpful to determine flotation vs rider weight.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that most every surfski is CAD/CAM manufactured. I therefore would assume the volume measurements already exist or can be easily calculated.
I think volume measurements could become very useful when considering different surfskis and how well they will suit your body weight. This could be particularly useful when looking at the Nelo 560 for example that appears to come in three different volumes. Why not include the ski volume in addition to recommended body weight.
I think overtime when paddlers can relate volume of skis to their paddling experience it would become a very valuable measurement.
Now the only problem to solve is to have all manufacturers come up with a universally acceptable measuring method/formula.
What do ya think guys?
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Fath2o. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29897 by supsherpa
I think it's a good direction to go in. They do it in the SUP industry. After all a 50kg paddler and 100kg paddler can paddle the same SUP but their experiences will be very different.

With all the choices there are out there it would be nicer to narrow them down a little. Length and width while decent indicators of boat dimensions don't come close to telling the full story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fath2o

More
6 years 6 months ago #29906 by owenfromwales
Great idea (if it is easy for the makers to record). Likewise, I`d love know how much inherent buoyancy a ski has, just in case she goes down, a long swim offshore!

Happy paddling,

Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
6 years 6 months ago #29919 by Sinkme
The volume will always be the total weight of the ski and rider divided by the density of the liquid it displaces (salt and fresh are a little different ). That could be compared with the DESIGN volume the ski was built for.
Myself, I'm all about waterline area, an even harder number to get and changes tons with weight. That number divided by length gives you an initial stability measurement.

Sink Me

More
6 years 6 months ago #29920 by Sinkme
Oh, I'm talking displaced volume here, perhaps not what was intended above.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29921 by davgdavg
Ya, like Sinkme says, there is a difference between displacement and the actual volume of the ski. In the surf world nobody is really clear on which "displacement" is used, which is pretty annoying. That said, I guess this isn't as big of a deal with ski's since they are all hollow.

More
6 years 6 months ago #29922 by owenfromwales
Excactly Dave,

We`re sitting on a bubble of air! Knowing the optimum size bubble for our weight and having ski makers tell us the figures for their skis, could make selection easier - especially if you can`t take a particular model for a spin before buying.

Owen

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy
The following user(s) said Thank You: supsherpa

Latest Forum Topics