Beginner looking to get back in shape

• Llwjrw03
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23829 by Llwjrw03
Beginner looking to get back in shape was created by Llwjrw03
So Ive gotten into kayaking, started out fishing, then moved to touring with mostly long distance multiday paddling. Lately I've gotten into some local racing. I would like to get my first surfski to learn on and be able to compete in more races. A little about me I am overweight, 6ft and 250lb. I've started a pretty good diet and am planning on getting back down to where I was 7 years ago in the military, around 190. My question is, at my current weight, is there a surfski out there that would be right for me? As of now I paddle a 14' jackson journey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23830 by BrettD
Welcome. I've had a pretty similar experience to you although I was 125 kg and honestly about 15 years since I was fit. I ended up with a think big eze which handles the weight fine although the bucket is quite tight. An epic v8 or Fenn bluefin also felt ok. These are all marketed as stable 'you could 't possibly fall out of it' beginner skis. I would suggest that as an overweight beginner you can and will fall out of anything. Consequently remounting is 100% the most important factor in choosing your first ski. If you find one an easier remount than the others, then I would buy that one. Balance and speed will all develop with time and experience but safety has to be right from day 1.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23831 by Atlas
You won't have any trouble at all. Virtually all beginner skis will easily handle you. You're not that fat.
Don't get too hung up on brands or models. Test paddle whatever you can find locally. Just get a proper beginner ski that you feel comfortable in. You will be upgrading pretty soon anyway. Having said that; I would strongly recommend that you don't be tempted to buy some sexy looking elite or even intermediate ski that you can "grow into". You will set yourself back immeasurably. The easiest thing in the world to sell is a beginner ski. You won't lose much cash and the satisfaction of having earned the right to upgrade is substantial.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
8 years 11 months ago #23832 by PeterS294
Consider the Epic V8 or V10 Sport depending on your current balance skills. Also the Stellar S18S, SR or Huki S1R. They all have the capacity. More stable is probably best.

• Llwjrw03
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23833 by Llwjrw03
Replied by Llwjrw03 on topic Beginner looking to get back in shape
Thanks for the feedback. I live on the coast in south louisiana and don't remember ever seeing a surfski anywhere local. Guess I'm kinda at a disadvantage due to location. I know probably at least 15 people that I work with that own kayaks and I am the only one that owns something other than a fishing yak. As far a test paddling, I might have to make a trip out of town.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23834 by Fath2o
Yeah, interesting situation your in. If you have the means,the surf ski championships in San Francisco is a great place to test drive all the major brands of skis on Friday before the races on Saturday. Of course might be hard to take it back home. They also have different clinics. If you haven't already, I highly recommend attending a paddle clinic or get some one on one paddle stroke instruction. Old habits die hard.
So sounds like you already have quite a bit of experience in a "beginner boat". So I would recommend looking for an intermediate ski.
May be a bit difficult at first, but, a good intermediate ski will last you a very long time. Especially since surfskis are few and far between where you live. The Fenn XT is a great relatively stable ski that is very easy to remount. Just somewhat low volume for someone your size and considered a bit slow. The think EVO-I is a good choice, a slight step up from the XT. An Epic v10 sport is also an excellent choice. These boats are widely available on the second hand market. The newer versions have a lot of good improvements except the EVO-II is a bit less stable than the EVO-I.
Another question is are you willing to throw down $5000.00 for a new boat? Jude at Huki makes some of the best skis out there with the highest quality control. You can discuss your needs with him and he can set you up with a brand new redesigned and made to order S-1R and ship it right to your house. Probably the last boat you would ever need.
So good luck with your goals and have fun with the search.

P.S. Stay away from sexy & alluring "Elite" surfskis no matter how tempting. Might make you want to quit.

• Llwjrw03
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23835 by Llwjrw03
What's your guys opinion on the epic v7? I know it's not the lightest but it's cheap and more durable. I know I've found a few oyster reefs in my kayak with low tides in the bay's and marsh. And I've also nose dived my kayak a few times into the sand when I was learning to surf it. I wish I could spend $5000 on a Huki but really don't have the funds with a new house and kids eating like they're trying to win a contest. I found a stellar dealer a few hours away that I'm gonna try to check out my next week off too.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23836 by TaffyMick
When I started back into paddling skis three years after a "long" break I was 125kg. Had a sea kayak I used to use now and then.

Now down to 112kg and have owned and tried out all the different brands. Fenn, Epic and Stellar from beginner boats to intermediate.

The best boat for a larger beginner without doubt is the Stellar S18S. Not just for its excellent stability, but also its practicality and its ability to mix it offshore with the intermediate and elite boats when conditions turn to crap.

The next best thing as you improve is the 2015 Stellar SR. To be honest most of the various brands have good beginner boats, but having owned a couple, in my opinion and that of the crew I regularly paddle with, Stellars without a doubt have the best boats for beginner to intermediate "larger" paddlers.

By the way, still have and use my S18S. Getting a new SR (Excel layup) this Wednesday and also have a Stellar SEI.

Whichever way you go, all the best and welcome to the world of Surfskidom!

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by TaffyMick.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23837 by Sinkme
What type of water will you be in? You sound like you are starting off much better than me (zero kayak exp), but if you get waves where you are there will be a price to pay in experience if you get an intermediate boat. I'm paying it now with 40 hours total bucket time in a surf ski (V10S 2nd gen). Waves (wavelets) over 6" start to diminish the fun rapidly. I'm paying that price since there is a community here I'd like to get up to speed with and I'm ok if it takes a year or two to do that while only buying one boat. If there had not been a community I would have gone with a beginner boat and would be in better shape now and be having more fun.

But the V7? That's less of a one trick pony. I'll always remember a crappy rotomolded tube braced coleman canoe I used fishing the Big Hole river in Montana once. Heavy and indestructible. I loved that thing. I'm hoping to try out the V7 next month in Seattle.

Try before you buy? Oh yes, that's required.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23838 by zachhandler
I have seen and touched but not paddled a v7. looks very nice in person. Does not look like a plastic boat. the construction is totally different than any other rotomolded boat I have seen. It is a sandwich construction, but instead of honeycomb or mat between the two walls, it is the same thermomolded plastic formed into a rigid foam. So much stiffer and lighter than any normal rotomolded boat. It will be 15 or 20 pounds lighter than your current kayak, despite being 3 feet longer, and will be way way faster with much better control thanks to the understern rudder. It will not be as light or stiff as a fiberglass v8, but honestly it will be 100% adequate as a learning boat for you. It is cheap, and Epic boats hold value well and are easy to resell later. Also, it should be pretty much immune to the bumps and dings that damage a composite surfski. With the kickup and plastic hull you could paddle it carefree in shallow creeks and backwaters. That's my view of the v7. If you are looking at a composite boat, then a v8, stellar S18, fenn bluefinn, Think big eze, huki SR, etc are all possibilities. As far as an intermediate vs beginner boat, get a beginner boat. You will learn much faster on it and have more fun paddling it. Also, you will never really outgrow a beginner boat. I know a couple expert paddlers who can surf any boat in big seas, but still prefer their v8 because the stability and carefree fun.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
8 years 11 months ago #23839 by Kocho
You will hard time buying a decent used V8 or similar for the price of a new V7. I have not paddled the V7, but if it fits you, I don't see why not. The new V10 Sport would be a more advanced first ski, which will handle your weight and I think is a better longer-term buy than a V8. My suggestion is to buy used or a new V7 (you will lose less on the eventual resale of the V7 than on a new composite).

Llwjrw03 wrote: What's your guys opinion on the epic v7? I know it's not the lightest but it's cheap and more durable. I know I've found a few oyster reefs in my kayak with low tides in the bay's and marsh. And I've also nose dived my kayak a few times into the sand when I was learning to surf it. I wish I could spend $5000 on a Huki but really don't have the funds with a new house and kids eating like they're trying to win a contest. I found a stellar dealer a few hours away that I'm gonna try to check out my next week off too.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23840 by Fath2o
The V7 looks like a great boat, just wouldn't want to have to carry it
very far. :pinch:

• Llwjrw03
  • Visitor
8 years 11 months ago #23841 by Llwjrw03
Im leaning more toward the v7. As far as the weight goes, I'm used to carrying my 55lb jackson sometimes with 30-40lbs of gear hiking into river putins, so 46lbs should be a breeze. I also like the cargo capacity since I won't just be doing races with it but also possibly some flatwater touring and multiday gulf shore island trips.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23842 by Kocho
Do give it a try on water. It seems to sit quite low - just make sure it will float you and said gear the way you like it. I don't know if it will or not, just sayin'.

More
8 years 11 months ago #23848 by red_pepper
If you're planning to race, you may want to check the race classes for the races you're planning to enter. Most of our races have a "sea kayak" class, where the S18S and V8 are considered "sea kayaks" (by dimensions), and these two boats are usually the top performers in that class. You would be handicapped with a V7 (although it would be a great boat for questionable waters and for all-around fun).

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #23849 by TaffyMick

Llwjrw03 wrote: Im leaning more toward the v7. As far as the weight goes, I'm used to carrying my 55lb jackson sometimes with 30-40lbs of gear hiking into river putins, so 46lbs should be a breeze. I also like the cargo capacity since I won't just be doing races with it but also possibly some flatwater touring and multiday gulf shore island trips.

S18S has generous cargo carrying capacity too. The hull is the same as Stellar's S18 Sea Kayak with the advantage of being an awesome boat in the rough offshore.

Paddling friend used an S18S in the last Doctor race in Western Australia. He finished mid-pack and beat a surprising number of Intermediate and Elite skis.

Again, whatever you choose... go for it.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by TaffyMick.

Latest Forum Topics