Spec skis

More
10 years 3 months ago #20302 by mickeyA
Spec skis was created by mickeyA
I know spec ski's get very little play here, but I am realizing I may never be a downwinder. I simply know of no one in the area that even has a surfski, let alone goes offshore from point A to point B. I love going a few hundred yards off the beach and riding the swells in, peeling off before they break near the beach. I use an XT and while it is ok, I struggle catching some swells. When pursuing the building swell, I find myself really leaning forward, scooting up, and paddling as far forward as possible to try to get "downhill." It seems like a more forward seat would make sense. Plus a longer back should provide more lift?? I've heard spec skis are designed this way, I assume for this same reason? If so, any recommendations on a stable (deep seat), adjustable footwell (a must, but seems somewhat rare?), durable (I suppose all specs are glass, 40 lbs, durable) spec ski? Are any 19x19 spec skis commonly known as the most stable? the most forward seat? the best surfers? Any other thoughts, tips, etc are welcome. If this topic is out of place here, is there a spec ski site out there? Thanks.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #20303 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Spec skis
I've never paddled an XT, but I hear they are a good design and good for paddling downwind if you're starting out. If you are having some problems surfing on it, I wouldn't think a move to a spec ski will make any different in all honesty. I would stick it out with the XT and keep plugging away. It will happen for you.

If you do go down the spec ski route, BOS in Sydney make fantastic skis and would be my recommendation:

www.bosoceansport.com/

More
10 years 3 months ago #20304 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Spec skis
I paddled a Fenn LS this past Thursday, and it was a fantastic ski for what you are trying to accomplish in the ocean. It was stable and lively in the flat where I tested it.

I cannot wait to try it in the ocean when the water warms up here in Southeastern, North Carolina. They are relatively inexpensive compared to the high-end downwind needles and should have decent resale value if you keep it in one piece.

Best of luck.

Latest Forum Topics