Suitable Ski for taller paddlers?

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20210 by Bolge
Hi.
A query as to what you guys would recommend as a suitable ski for a taller paddler? I'm 196 cm (6' 6"), would class myself as an intermediate paddler and currently paddle an Epic V10S as well as a k1 and plastic kayak Avon boat. The V10 Sport has been great but I've never been able get a full leg extension and as a result feel I could put a lot more power into the stroke. I'd like to move up to the next level of craft (i.e. V10) but am hesitant with staying with Epic unless I can get the hight of my knees down. Have any of you experience with Epic's big boy kit? Do Epic provide this option for their latest range? Or what other brands are you larger guys paddling and recommend ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20213 by Rookie
Hi, do try the Custom Kayaks Focus. At 6'2 I still have a couple of notches to go before I run out of adjustments. Plus the designer/ builder is 7' plus so he has a good idea of what tall guys need in order to be comfortable.

The other ski may be a Kayak Centre Zeplin which I also found had lots of room and comes in a narrow/ wide seat sizes to suit most people. The only caution of this ski is I found that at 92kg I did not have the weight to keep it in to a strong wind.

Focus, Apex 2, Zeplin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bolge

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20214 by Ranga
All new Epics are longer than previous models. Matt Bouman now fits just fine with leg length but still has the new big boy footrest as his feet are VERY big. The new big boy footrest is mainly for size of feet as opposed to length.

The hump on all new models are also a bit flatter.

However if that is still not long enough I suppose the old big boy footrest can be fitted to any Epic.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20216 by Kocho
At 6'4" with long legs and large feet (size 15 US) I could just fit in the previous generation V10 Sport. The new one is supposed to be longer and a smidgen wider in the foot board area, have not tried it).

I "upgraded" to the new V10 - it indeed has a couple more inches leg length than the previous V10 and V10 Sport. It also has 1/4" or so wider space for my feet due to redesign of the foot board attachment, even though the cockpit is actually narrower than the Sport it replaced. It is also 7lb heavier in the same Performance layup than my V10 Sport it replaced.

I do have the Big Foot board, which basically raises the toe pedals a couple of inches higher than the normal board. The Big Boy is different - it gives you an extra 1/2" of length but as far as I know does not raise the pedals. The Big Foot board is tall enough, but I'm not totally happy with it - because the support cross member is now lower than where the pedals mount, the board tends to tilt forward if I don't put pressure with my heels - they should have offered higher rail placement and/or a third center rail option to stabilize it.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20222 by Love2ski
I have the new sport and the new v10. The v10 leg length is significantly longer than the sport. On the sport I have the peddles about halfway along. On the v10 they are right up against the bailer. I have short legs.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20228 by ergometer
Great informative post. I want to know more information about this topic. Waiting for the reply.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #20230 by Bolge
Thanks for the replies guys. Good info on the Epic big boy option in that it is for bigger feet rather than taller frames. I'll be selling the V10 Sport off in a month or so and will try a few options on for size. Kind of keen on the Epic V10 Ultra so will calling a few favours from paddling mates.
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Bolge. Reason: Spelling

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20236 by jocuba
Do try a Vajda Hawx - magnificent!

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20237 by GAvC
I have recently upgraded from the old V10 Sport to a new V10 Ultra with the big footboard. At 197cm (6ft 5 1/2) I still find the Ultra fractionally too short. The big footboard is a great option for those with larger feet but Kocho is right, you do have to apply the pressure through your heels to stop it tilting forward (which your supposed to do anyway??) At least that should stop me breaking peddles, 3 on the Sport, all right hand side. The new peddles with the thinner shaft and meatier hinges are also a great improvement.

The only other way I could see of increasing leg length is to modify the bucket which is way beyond my skills and may upset the balance of the boat. Not that I'm all that keen to take a grinder to a new Ultra.

The only ski I tried with more than enough legroom was the Think Ion, but the shape of the bucket did not agree with the shape of my behind, bloody thing nearly crippled me after an hour

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20240 by searleg
Stellar SE has plenty of room and is by no means slow or twitchy for any reasonably competent paddler

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20241 by Ro bo
I have a Stellar SEI and had the peddle tracks moved forward. I now have plenty of room for my 195cm 107kg frame. The tracks were simply unscrewed from the ski and new holes drilled about 20mm further forward.

I've also tried the Stellar SEL and there's plenty of room for me "as is" with no mods.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #20247 by Kocho
Big (or "Tall"?) Boy = more leg length (the bottom/heel area is removed, you brace against the front of the cockpit directly, thus allowing a bit of extra forward positioning)

Big Foot = higher toe pedals, same overall leg length as the normal foot plate offers.

Bolge wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. Good info on the Epic big boy option in that it is for bigger feet rather than taller frames. I'll be selling the V10 Sport off in a month or so and will try a few options on for size. Kind of keen on the Epic V10 Ultra so will calling a few favours from paddling mates.

Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Kocho.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #20248 by Bolge
Ro bo I tried an SEI with modified tracks last weekend and absolutely loved the fit. If the SEL is of a similar fit I'm definitely in the market. You and I are of a similar size by the sound of it.
Cheers
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by Bolge. Reason: Spelling

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20249 by Bolge

Kocho wrote: Big Boy = more leg length (the bottom/heel area is removed, you brace against the front of the cockpit directly, thus allowing a bit of extra forward positioning)

Big Foot = higher toe pedals, same overall leg length as the normal foot plate offers.

Thanks Kocho - better understanding now

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20250 by searleg
I am 1.95 m 108 kg. The SEL is designed for the lighter paddler and has less volume . I use the SE very light construction and it still has a few notches that I could extend if need be. Unless you are going to be doing downwinds or paddling in bigger conditions then the SEL would probably be a better bet but is not suitable for rougher conditions if you weigh over 90 kgs

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20266 by midget
you could always customise the the ski for you if needed,
i just did a custom adjustable extra long leg length for a brand new V10 sport.
the client is approx 6'7 and was extremely happy with the results, so if your interested and in sydney, its is defiantly possible!

ill add a few pics of the finished ski, hopefully they work.

Sydney Ski Repairs
www.skirepairs.com.au

Attachments:

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20267 by midget
Sydney Ski Repairs
www.skirepairs.com.au

Attachments:

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20268 by midget
Sydney Ski Repairs
www.skirepairs.com.au

We put approx 100mm extra length into the cockpit
Attachments:

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20269 by Ranga
Nice job!

Can be done in Perth as well.

More
10 years 2 weeks ago #20270 by stretchstruwig
Hi Bolge

i'm 1,985m 98kg size 12 EU foot 92cm waist and paddle a hybrid FOCUS from CUSTOM KAYAKS - i still have five notches to move the footplate forward - excellent ski for tall guys as the seating feels if yu are sitting in a K1 but excellent stability ! serious fast downwind ski as the ski is stable and yu can generate lots of power.Workmanship Quality superior for your monies worth !! loan one and try out!!!

Latest Forum Topics