What I love about ocean paddling

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19717 by JeandeFlorette
What I love about ocean paddling was created by JeandeFlorette
I started paddling a sea kayak on rivers about 10 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the sudden freedom and calm that it gave me. Then, I moved closer to the harbour and started exploring the area and loved the movement of the water and how you could surf. I was thrilled to meet other paddlers and exchange stories... a bit like fishing tragic telling about the one that got away... To this day, I still fill the same passion and even more so now that I paddle the ocean, my friends will tell you that I can talk tirelessly about paddling all day!

What is it about paddling that attracts young and old, day in day out for what seems to be just another form of exercise and for some competition?!

I found myself rushing back from work and going straight to the beach to launch my craft, going for a float as some say... I had caught the bug big time... the symptoms were clear for all to see and it started to worry some people, including my lovely wife. She seeks comfort and reassurance that I will be ok: "he must be training for the Olympics or something" she likes to say. When I mentioned that I may take up golf soon, she nearly had a heart attack! By then, I had gone through made the transition to surf skis and in quick succession replaced them, at one stage my garage looked like a boat shed with 2 sea kayaks and a surf ski, 3 paddles, life jackets, my car hs never been garaged for that very same reason. Then, I bought an ocean ski... the buggers are so long that they would not fit most garages... as a result it never left the roof of my car! Good excuse to go for a paddle whenever I felt like it! It got worse... I found myself going for a quickie at lunchtime, afterwork... not sure the doctor ordered this.

As I became fitter, I started to paddle harder an cover longer distance. A few people have had a great influence on my paddling addiction. The first is an englishman who at the age of 72 was still competing, having started at the age of 19, he has inspired quite a lot of elite athletes to this day. Thank you Dave. The other is Guy Leech, he tought me how to paddle effectively, how to challenge yourself. I will never forget the day he said "close your eyes, paddle, feel where your power is coming from", I still use this technique today. Thank you Leechy! Dean Gardiner, has been and still is a source of inspiration when it comes to paddling the ocean. Sorry Deano, I tried to lean my head like you but it does not make me go faster, thanks for the numerous pieces of advice! Someone who is an artist of the seas, Rambo, has been the source I always go to when it comes to techniques. Rambo's Locker for those who have not discovered it yet is a treasure chest of footage of the best paddlers in the world. I would like to mention a few of his creations which are like the bible for believers. One that comes to mind is Clint Robinson cruising at the Doctor, Dean Gardiner joining the 'holes', the Maraamu 2012 in Bora Bora. I can watch those over and over again and still feel inspired! You are second to none Rambo!

I practiced for a few years on various skis until I felt confident to venture out of the harbour, then I became addicted to ocean paddling. Feeling the power of the ocean, harnessing it, surfing the swell, nothing comes close to it. Safety became my priority, I was amongst the few that started to wear a life jacket at competitions, thank God common sense prevailed. You learn to respect the sea, tune in, read the swell, face your fears and trust yourself. I was drawn for a long while to a daily routine of close to 1 hour of ocean paddling and in that time experienced q few precious moments, Flying school of garfish glistening at sunrise, paddling through a feeding frenzy of a large pod of dolphins, paddling with 4 adult whales and a calf for half an hour with no one else around. The latter was a humbling experience in itself: the sheer size of those beasts yet the grace with which they glide (BTW their cruising speed with a pup is close to 9 km/hr!), the noise of their breathing when they surface will stay with me for ever.

My last paddle was no later than yesterday, an 8 km ocean paddle in gentle but fast 1 to 1.5 NE swell with light wind. I was amazed how if you time it well, you can surf on the back of the wave while going against it... that was as thrilling as surfing in the downwind direction due to the sudden lift as the wave went past. Catching the sun rise is something out of this world! The only other living thing that I could see (!) were mutton birds swooping into the wave looking for a feed. As they fly past I managed to catch the reflection of the sun at the bottom of their wings, they are amazing gliders...

I had a few mishaps too... and that's why I stay indoors when the southerlies are blowing gale force and the seas rise above 3m. I have found myself in the drink more times than I would like to mention catching blue bottles around my arm and legs while trying to remount. when I got back home, I was pale and sat in an armchair for hours, sea sick as a speechless dog for hours after... so be warned, be safe, pay respect, it has not respect but commands it...

I used to spot cars with a kayak cradle on their roofs! So many people paddle nowadays and more and more amateurs are out there having a go. It is great that very now and then this forum debates the safety aspects as technique is important provided that you are safe. I always have an approved life jacket, a marine whistle and a leg leash and recently I was saying to myself, I should tape a day flare to the deck of my ski, I should do it now actually, and on that note, 'au revoir'...
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by JeandeFlorette. Reason: adding photo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19719 by sAsLEX
An enjoyable read.

I keep my ski in the lounge behind the couch.....

And always wear a lifejacket, though I would hate the nice clean line of surfskis ending up like messy front and rear decks of sea kayaks with lines and things all over the place.

• JeandeFlorette
  • Visitor
10 years 5 months ago #19720 by JeandeFlorette
Replied by JeandeFlorette on topic What I love about ocean paddling
Yes I know, the French do that! Btw my great great grand father was French but I'm not...

Latest Forum Topics