Sore Hip Flexors "Part Two"

More
11 years 7 months ago #12828 by TheGoose
Hello Fellow paddlers, I trust that this finds you all well.

I am about to take a "Mallet" to my Ski...

History, I posted about getting sore Hip Flexors on here some time ago, and received great advice and thought I had the monster beaten.

At that time, I had started running every morning,not far and not fast, 6.6km at around 40/42 min...run walk run stuff..

Stepped into a hole and Hurt my Medial Meniscus of my left Knee, so unable to run, I walked and rode a stationery bike in the Gym...oh and of course still paddled.

After a few days, I noticed that I was comfortable with no pain from the hip flexors and I thought that this was a natural progression of getting fitter and stronger...well I was wrong..

Now a month later I been running again for a week. My last paddle outing lasted a very painful 20min before I headed for the beach.

Got out the Ski, did about 10 min of alternate stretching felt ok, got back in the Ski and after 10min felt like crap...so sore I headed back to the Yacht.

The question is, how come I am having a repeat of the sore Hip Flexor thingy when this abated when I was not running?

This is starting to Pee me off big time, since I get so sore, that paddling technique goes out the window, becomes a Schlep instead of being enjoyable....

Nuff said

Take care

Raymond.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12830 by DougMar
Could be wrong, but sounds like your hip flexors, glutes, bicepts (hamstrings), calves are tight and in need of minor stretching. Running will definitely shorten hams and hip flexors.
Do some research into trigger points as well. Muscles that are habitually tight and painful usually have trigger points (individual muscles fibers that become contracted without relaxing due to nervous system malfunctions). I am no expert with the trigger points, but I've had similar problems, and have had excellent results with self-therapy. Clair Davies has written two books detailing trigger points and methods to cure these conditions.
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGoose

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #12834 by water2deep
hi

your hip flexors could be sore for a number of reasons , for instance position on the boat, your technique and finally your biomechanics/ fitness

I think finding a solution online might be difficult as the before mentioned reasons for sore muscles need to be assessed in person I reckon.

The thing with hip flexors in the ski is, they are holding your trunk from falling backwards, so they really do need to be flexible and Strong. if they are not strong or flexible enough you will tire them out quickly. this potentially could lead to muscle strains or trigger points.

To strengthen muscles properly you need time, you need roughly 6 weeks of appropriately challenging the muscle just to get the nervous system fully firing up all the available muscle fibers in your existing hip flexors then onward you start to get hypertrophy.

Tight hamys and glutes would also fight your hip flexors in the boat.

A stretching and gym program that you could fit in between paddling days may work for you ?
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by water2deep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGoose

More
11 years 7 months ago #12835 by TheGoose
Hello Paddlers, I thank those who have given advice here, much appreciated.

I think the running is causing the Hammies and Gluets to cause this.

After yesterday's run, I made sure I stretched, paid attention to the stretch, since I know now how important it is.

Went for a Paddle in the afternoon, only had time for half an hour, and don't want to get ahead of myself, but felt much better.

I also taped up my Paddle Leash to stop it from flopping around and was able to concentrate on "Posture" rather than having to re-adjust the paddle leash every five minutes...

On my way to the Gym now, intend to do 5k on the rowing machine and 40 min on a bike, there are several trainers there, will ask them for advice too.

Thanks guys and "Ladies"..

Take care

Raymond.

Latest Forum Topics