Seat design ergonomics

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #26054 by Steve Hansen
In my limited experience I have never seen a surfski with a perfectly flat section in the bucket from side to side. I realize it would have to be rather small. It seems most seat shapes mirror the shape of the hull for obvious reasons. I'm just wondering if it makes any difference to the sit bones whether they are sitting on a perfectly flat area or slightly concave?

Another question concerning seat design: How important is it for the deepest part of the seat to be in the back of the bucket where it keeps you from sliding forward? It seems like this is ignored in some designs.

I know everyone's rear end is different butt what makes a comfortable seat area and who is doing the best job with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #26057 by rlh608
Replied by rlh608 on topic Seat design ergonomics
So, why not make skis with an oversize bucket and provide something like this:
www.gurneygears.com/bumfortable-kayak-seat
for a customized fit?

Kind of like downhill ski boots with moldable liners -- might obviate the need to try to make one-size-fits-all buckets. Then we could choose skis on hull shape, quality, support, and other considerations, independent of bucket shape.

Current ski: Stellar SR Advantage

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #26060 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic Seat design ergonomics

rlh608 wrote: So, why not make skis with an oversize bucket and provide something like this:
www.gurneygears.com/bumfortable-kayak-seat
for a customized fit?

See here:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rlh608

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #26076 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic Seat design ergonomics
The Mohican - essentially a flat-water ski - is built with changeable seat options. You can put in a rotating ICF seat (if you really like to test your stability), a standard ICF-type seat, or a Bumfortable seat. Probably other seats could be installed as well.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #26413 by Uffilation
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Uffilation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 9 months ago #26414 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Seat design ergonomics
Ideally, the back of the seat should be lower for two reasons:
1. When sitting down in a normal position with your knees slightly bent (to promote a good rotation), your anatomy will dictate that the lowest part will be your butt bones hitting the lowest point in the back of the bucket.
2. A "good" bucket should start rising soon: this prevents sliding forward on flat water, but it is essential when going Downwind (the ski is tilted downhill when paddled correctly). Therefore, in DW conditions, you will feel little or no rise at all on most skis.

Confused?
Ask a surfski instructor to show you. It's actually much easier to point the finger on a bucket in front of you :)

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Hansen

Latest Forum Topics