Wild wind

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #907 by Alain Jaques
Wild wind was created by Alain Jaques
I believe Rob and Company had a good downwind paddle at about midday on Sunday. I went for a run on Noordhoek beach at around 4pm and the wind was absolutely wild, the sand was stinging my legs and I even got sand my ears. Then the odd whirlwind came through pulling sheets of spray off the sea. I thought that if you were out at sea in those conditions you would have been blown out of your ski and your ski would have gone airborne up the spout.

I'm glad you guys didn't get mixed up with those conditions...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #908 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Wild wind

I believe Rob and Company had a good downwind paddle at about midday on Sunday. I went for a run on Noordhoek beach at around 4pm and the wind was absolutely wild, the sand was stinging my legs and I even got sand my ears. Then the odd whirlwind came through pulling sheets of spray off the sea. I thought that if you were out at sea in those conditions you would have been blown out of your ski and your ski would have gone airborne up the spout.

I'm glad you guys didn't get mixed up with those conditions...

That was Saturday, Al...!

The wind was quite steady on the Fish Hoek side and we had a very relaxed run down to Buffels. The wind was solidly NNW so it was pretty much directly behind us once we got to Millers. We had some side-gusts from about 2km out from Buffels, but none of the drama that sometimes happens in "Hurricane Alley".

Still, we took all precautions (yes, had cell phones, flares, SMSed NSRI Simonstown to let them know)... If you do get taken out down there, it's next stop South Atlantic.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #909 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Wild wind
OK Saturday, it was definitely this week. Things are a bit blurry with baby induced sleep deprivation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #910 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: Wild wind
That stretch between Smitswinkel and Buffels is really nasty, even without a newborn baby to confuse you. Be very careful when paddling there. I reckon it is better to pull in at Millers point if the NNw or Nw is fairly strong.

More
16 years 6 months ago #911 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Wild wind
yeah - I think we should have a guide to routes all over the world... they could be graded from I (easiest/safest) to V (most difficult/dangerous).

The FH to Buffels run would be Grade V because of "Hurricane Alley". It's a lot of fun though if you're careful and go in the right conditions. :)

FH to Millers Point would be graded II-III. The only slightly tricky bit is going through the rocks at Millers Point before coming in.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 6 months ago #912 by deanjordaan
Replied by deanjordaan on topic Re: Wild wind
I think a ratings system is an excellent idea. I wonder how you'd parameterise the ratings. Clearly the strength of the wind makes a massive difference, also wind direction and swell size. Most routes can vary from benign to dangerous depending on conditions. Maybe the rating should reflect the average/typical conditions (explaining what they are). Some routes also have a greater tolerance for a change in conditions (like a paddle from 3 Anchor Bay to Barkers Rock and back), while others need very specific conditions (Fish Hoek to Buffels in a NNW, not too strong wind), how do you indicate that.

Latest Forum Topics