Pennypinchers Plett Easter SA Ski1 & Ski2 Champs

More
15 years 1 month ago #3017 by ndewet
Hi there,

I've decided to go to this event in Plett and was wondering whether anyone has more info on the conditions one can expect there, particularly when it comes to surf.

I recall pictures of massive surf at a river mouth and want to prepare myself psychologically in the event of having to contend with massive sets.

Thanks,
Nico

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3018 by ndewet
Forgot to include Hobie beach in Port Elizabeth in the above, as there will be a race there on 10 April and it makes no sense not to go to this race too.

More
15 years 1 month ago #3024 by kaybee
Hobie beach is normally the easiest place to start or finish in Port ELizabeth !! Although the race only finishers here, the start should be at Sards, also not hectic at all !! But no Gaurentees here ;)

Also lots of friendly locals that will put up a visiting paddler for the night and help them get to the race etc.

The Plett race is only two hours drive, so after the race rack and go to Plett, three awesome races in three days. Cant wait !!! :woohoo:

• markalderman
  • Visitor
15 years 1 month ago #3030 by markalderman
Replied by markalderman on topic Re:Pennypinchers Plett Easter SA Ski1 & Ski2 Champs
Don't ever under estimate Sards. It gets big and nasty and if you get it wrong.....well enjoy the swim and hope your boat is still in one piece.

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #3031 by garykroukamp
Hi n
The start of the Plett race last year was from Central Beach which was quite an easy in and out. The race took us into the Keurbooms Mouth where you could choose your line to take as much or as little of the point break wave as you liked. I think Hank McGregor and Dawid Mocke both swam because they were trying to catch the bigger wave on the right of the mouth, whereas most others went more to the left and so avoided the bigger waves. I haven't heard which race route the organisers are considering this year, but it will depend on the wind and tide at the time, presumably. I'm sure they will avoid the mouth if it is too dangerous on the day. See you there!
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by garykroukamp.

Latest Forum Topics