What does your kid paddle??Or what should I buy my kid??

More
16 years 7 months ago #955 by timax
??? I'm a sea Kayaker and over the last few years I have found it hard to get away from the family for a paddle.
Now my Boy has just turned 10 years old and is a Nipper life saver so loves the ocean.
I want to get him out paddling but most of the sit on tops I have seen are too wide for a proper stroke and I don't want him in a kayak for safety reasons.
So what is out there?? The only 1 that looks the goods is the Stealth Junya
www.stealthpp.co.za/Products.asp?Product=2
Is there anything else?
What is considered to be the right starting point for a junior paddler?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tim & Max :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #956 by [email protected]
There's also:

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• benneta
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #957 by benneta
Anything in Australia? Presumably something with adjustable footrests - I ain't buying him a new one each time he grows. He's 130cm tall.

More
16 years 7 months ago #958 by SCpaddler
Hi Andrew

Ozflyte Surfcraft on the sunny coast make a 14ft ski called the Enduro.
www.ozflytesurfcraft.com.au/surfskis
I have seen a few of these on ebay for a good price.

There is also another sunny coast company called Viking kayaks who makes a 14ft polyethylene constructed ski called the Javlin14. My old man has one of these and they are a great little boat.
www.vikingkayak.com.au/javlin

More
16 years 7 months ago #959 by surfskipaddle
Hi , another good plastic ski is from spirit paddlesports in Perth W.A. but can be bought in the East coast. Good ski in the surf and very tough as they do the Avon Descent in them.

More
16 years 7 months ago #960 by timax
Thanks for all of these suggestions. The oz flyte looks good. Just waiting to find out if the leg length is adjustable and the width. Some of these ski's like the SPIRIT are very wide. 61cm in that case and 62 in another. My Mirage is only 55cm and feels a few cm too wide for me so I think for a kid to get a nice stroke a boat closer to a spec ski width but just not as long would be better.
next problem will be a decent paddle. A tiny wing with a small diameter shaft?? My old skee carbon with a trim from the angle grinder??

Latest Forum Topics