Wooden Strip-Built Surfski

More
12 years 3 months ago #9291 by Vandefolie
Last year I decided to build a wooden surfski.
You can follow the process for making the surfski on the site :
sites.google.com/site/woodenkayaksurfski

VentDeFolie
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: latman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonojnr
  • Visitor
12 years 3 months ago #9295 by Jonojnr
Replied by Jonojnr on topic Re: Wooden Strip-Built Surfski
You Sir, are a God of Patience. I think that may be one of the most beautiful things i have seen in my 41 yrs. Bravo!

More
12 years 3 months ago #9297 by latman
very nice indeed !! is the inside glassed ? did you fit a centre stringer of any kind? cheers Ian

More
12 years 3 months ago #9298 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Wooden Strip-Built Surfski
Superbe ! J'aimerais être capable d'en faire autant.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9299 by Boof Head
Beautiful! I am particularly impressed with the cockpit as I am currently building a timber ski myself. I have found the cockpit very time consuming. Did you happen to weigh the cockpit before fitting to ski?
Cheers

More
12 years 3 months ago #9309 by Vandefolie
To Ian Latman :

Indeed the inside is fiberglassed and there is no stringer (if you mean a piece of wood running from stern to bow to
increas the stiffness). The surfski is sufficiently stiff without it.

To Boof Head :

Yes the cockpit is very time consuming because you can't bending the wood in every sense and you must look for clever ways to make this form.
The cockpitt in wood was very light but after fiberglassing it has become to heavy because I used tu much epoxy resine. I don't know the weight of the seat.

Sorry for my poor English !

Happy paddling

VentDeFolie
Attachments:

More
12 years 3 months ago #9310 by YBA/Jim Murray
Very nice work!
Steamed white cedar is like spaghetti and can be laid up on a form fairly easy. The density is about as Western Red. White spruce could be another option.
The steamer can be an electric tea kettle and the steam chamber a tube placed over the spout. Old and simple technology that still works well.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9311 by ejpoulsen
Fantastic! How much does it weigh?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9315 by f0xxee
I tend to think the design of surf-skis are beautiful anyhow, but you sir, have elevated form to high art. That truly is beautiful.
Thank you for the website too! I spent a good 30 minutes skiving at work enjoying it!

More
12 years 3 months ago #9328 by Vandefolie
Thanks for all the compliments, I'm glad you like the website and the wooden surfski.

About the weight.
The surfski was very light in raw wood, but after adding too much epoxy resin, the two hatches ... weight has risen to 21 kg.
It's possible to make it much lighter but it was my first experience.
I know it's too heavy, I use the surfski kayak only for day trips and not for competitions ! :)

sites.google.com/site/woodenkayaksurfski/

VentDeFolie

More
12 years 3 months ago #9329 by skel
Replied by skel on topic Re: Wooden Strip-Built Surfski
Mate that is a ripper ski! Having built 3 plywood ski's I can only imagine your patience and attention to detail building a strip -built ski. The end result is beautiful - well done.
Stephen

More
12 years 3 months ago #9360 by Colnagodreaming
Indeed a beautiful craft - in fact piece of art. How did you cut the bow and stern ends, that extruded after the wood strips had been laid down? I am interested in how you maintained the curves at each end and prevented the wood strips from splintering.

Does anyone else have picutures of their manufacturing process? :)

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9374 by Jimyak
Colnago: You can get a good idea of what it takes to to build a wood stripper and get answers most of your questions on the forum at blue heron. www.blueheronkayaks.com/phpBB2/index.php

Ross, the site owner, has some great free design software available for download and we can help you along the way. I'm building a 19' white water boat. The stripped out hull and deck weigh 12 pounds (~5.5 kilos). The glass, epoxy, seat, bulkheads, etc add about double that, so I'm looking at 35 - 40 pounds (~18 kilos) wet. My first 14' poly boat weighed 95 pounds!

all the best,

Jim
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Jimyak. Reason: omission

More
12 years 3 months ago #9385 by Vandefolie
Colnago :
I have simply create a "finger joint", I let the first strip overhang the end, the strip on the other side will hit it.
Repeat this for the next level of strips, alternating the sides.

To maintain the curves at each end I used clamps, elastic cords,
... and everything I could find to apply pressure

After fiberglassing the bow en stern, there is no longer risk of splintering the wood strips.

You can find all this information in the book "The Strip-Built Sea Kayak" by Nick Schade.

VentDeFolie
Attachments:

More
12 years 3 months ago #9390 by DougMar
Vandefolie,
Nice job!
I see you used fully elliptical sections, therefore the Boa is a bit wider than your Fenn, but what is your designed Bwl at what displacement? Even though she is heavier than most skis (therefore possibly more stable than intended) how is her transverse stability compared to your Fenn (what model of Fenn do you paddle?)? Did you place your bucket much higher than your heels, and how high above the interior hull did you place your heels/bucket? So, I'm sure everyone else is wondering the same, how does she handle?!?
Very nice looking design and execution!
-Doug

More
12 years 3 months ago #9414 by Vandefolie
Doug:
I paddle with a Fenn Mako 6, Mako XT or Epic V10S.
Wanting a rather stable wooden surfski, I'm most inspired by the Fenn Mako XT. The width is 48 cm.
The transverse stability is very good and thanks to the short length (5m), the heavy wooden surfski surfs fairly well in the short Mediterranean waves.
The seat (bucket) is a little bit higher (10mm) than the heels.
I built the boat in an empirical way (by rule of thumb), based on observation without any particular experience.
During building I had to constantly adapt myself to the problems encountered.
The design was done using simple 2D software (Adobe Illustrator).
Hanap Patelinage

VentDeFolie
Attachments:

More
12 years 3 months ago #9416 by Boof Head
ColNagodreaming,
I have some pics of my current build on youtube if you are interested. Do a search for boofhead65.

Hanap, I'm wirh Jim, please drop in at blueheron and show your ski in the launching forum. jim and I spent a lot of time designing a 21' surfski and here are a number of members interested in surfskis and K1.

Cheers

More
12 years 2 months ago #9903 by PLOPLOP
Very Nice. Would you consider selling the plans, so others could try and make one. A friend and I in New Zealand would really like to give it a try.

Regards Karl

More
12 years 2 months ago #9905 by Kayaker Greg
If this is the Karl I think it is, he makes beautiful boats.

More
12 years 2 months ago #9909 by Boof Head
Hi Karl,
you will find a number of surfski designs over at www.blueheronkayaks.com . Ross Leidy has developed a fantastic easy to use software called KayakFoundary which has a very active forum assisting people with their designs.
You will find a couple of finished skis in the Launchings forum.
Checkout Paul's Surfski from Canada and his latest design "Tuesday Night Racer.
Schappers from the Sunshine Coast has finalised his design and it looks good.
cheers

Latest Forum Topics