Custom Kayaks Synergy Hybrid

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4454 by Nicho03
Until recently I owned a Custom Kayaks Synergy Surfski which has sadly for me met a wave it couldn't survive... all 1.5 metres of it. I was with a friend on his V10 and was watching another paddler take off on a wave when the next wave came in. As i'd been watching the other person I hadn't noticed that a larger wave (approx 1.5 metre face) had formed and was about to break on me. I attempted to get the ski turned around so that it might wash over me but getting 6.4 metres of ski turned isn't all that quick. Up shot was the wave landed on the ski and the force of it caused the ski to literally pop along the seams.The seams separated from the left side of the bow, back to the cockpit. The right side separating from the back of the cockpit to the stern. Not having these areas to support it and the wave pushing us sideways, the ski broke in two...kept together by the rudder lines. The single strengthening rib down the centre has multiple holes drilled into it to lighten it and this totally disintegrated. (Have photos if interested also on facebook) I contacted the manufacturer as the ski is only a year or so old and was informed that... "Regrettably your ski was purchased second hand and is now about a year and a half old. We have no idea what has transpired during its previous ownership. The ski could well have been traumatized on or off the water creating a potential weakness internally." I am interested to know if I had a dud or this is a common occurrence with Custom Kayaks skis?
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Nicho03.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4461 by Nicho03
The events depicted in my post did happen, however it appears I was too impatient and since posting my previous post I have been contacted by Custom Kayaks who manufacturer the Synergy. He states that some of his companies skis have been in competition for more than 10 years and this is an isolated incident. Which is most obviously apparent by the fact that his skis are sold all over the world by some very capable paddlers.He also stated that he is very busy at the moment with business and racing commitments and I had not given he enough time to look into the whole matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics