Mentor vs Honcho Guevara

More
16 years 4 months ago #1300 by richardh
Both of these look great, has anyone paddled both to compare?

Their use would be fitness/recreation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1301 by richardh
Has anyone any thoughts on the Mentor?

More
16 years 3 months ago #1302 by stuartknaggs
I have a bunch of Mentors at my school here in the Caribbean. They are well built and robust but still fairly light for a beginner ski. The early models had big gaps on the adjustments and a floppy footstrap but they have fixed this now with more holes in the rails and a better supported strap.

I have heard some people say that it is less stable than the XT - I can honestly not tell the difference. I have had complete novices paddling it in flat water without falling off. It feels faster than the XT but that may be subjective - I have not had the chance to do a proper back to back test in all conditions.

I have not paddled the Honcho Guevara yet but I would say the Mentor is less stable but a lot faster than the Honcho Rookie.

Hope this helps
Stuart

More
16 years 3 months ago #1303 by richardh
Stuart.

Your reply has helped a lot.

...fairly light for a beginner ski.

What do you mean by this?

I have heard some people say that it is less stable than the XT ... It feels faster than the XT but that may be subjective...

I've heard both these as well, but haven't managed to paddle an XT yet.

I posted comments about my paddle with a demo Mentor ski a week or so ago and enjoyed paddling the ski - I was more comfortable after swapping back from a deep-seat Icon. I've since paddled the Robberg Express, but found this too tight on my hips as well as being quite tippy.

The Mentor does seem to have a higher seat that the other skis (Icon and Robberg Express) and I wondered if this could cause issues in rougher water.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1304 by KMG
Replied by KMG on topic Re: Mentor vs Honcho Guevara
I've paddled XT and Mentor a number of times: no question, XT is heavier, slower, more stable. I find the seat more comfortable; my paddle-mate prefers the Mentor.

Latest Forum Topics