What Knysna Ski is this?

More
16 years 5 months ago #1082 by rojo
Hi,
I found a used ski for a good price but some of the information I get about it does not match. It is advertised as a Knysna Stingray 1.
The picture (www.kanuconnection.de/media/images/ski-gebraucht-2.jpg) shows a long distance ski and the measurements are given as length 615cm, width 43cm, depth 23cm.
According to some old information on the Knysna website the Stingray 1 is a SPEC ski (Hammerhead) so it cannot be the ski on the picture.

Anybody seen a ski like the one on the picture? Which model and make is it?

Thanks, Rolf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1083 by [email protected]
Hi Rolf!

I've sent the pics & query to Knysna Kayaks.

Interesting - single footwell which looks modern...

cheers
rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 5 months ago #1084 by [email protected]
Hmmm... Albert Wasserman (who runs Knysna Kayaks) is confused... He says that the Stingray 2 had a small nose - but was only 5.7m in length. The 6.15m length sounds like a Robberg Express as does the single footwell - but I don't think that the ski in that photo looks like a Robberg Express!

Anyway - i've sent him the photos & He'll hopefully be able to solve the mystery...

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 5 months ago #1085 by Rouen
Replied by Rouen on topic Re: What Knysna Ski is this?
I`m sure its not a Robberg Express. I own the second version with the funny nose and my friend own one of the older models. The Robberg has higher curve over the nose. This ski is almost flat.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1086 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re: What Knysna Ski is this?
Hi,
thanks for the help. I would have tried to contact Knysna but wanted to wait for a reply from the seller before doing so. No problem, great if some information pops up.
Knysna products are not found very oftenwhere I am living. If a surfski apears on my home market it is most likely to be a SPEC ski. There are Stingray2s for sale and these are advertised with the correct pictures.
I found this old page on the Knysna website: www.knysnaracingkayaks.com/kayaks/pages/stingray1.htm

cheers, Rolf

More
16 years 5 months ago #1087 by [email protected]
The plot thickens! Here's Albert's reply:
[url=http://Hi Rob
I do not know this ski. Not ours by the look of things.
It could be a Molakai LD - used to be made by Brians - but I am not sure.
Cheers albert]Hi Rob
I do not know this ski. Not ours by the look of things.
It could be a Molakai LD - used to be made by Brians - but I am not sure.
Cheers albert
[/url]
Let us know what the seller says!
Cheers,
Rob

Rob

More
16 years 5 months ago #1088 by [email protected]
More from Albert, yesterday:

Hi Rob
Strange - the rudder is the shape we used for years. The rest I just can not place - the front section of the nose is similar to the Stingray 2 - but never made with a single footwell - and 5.7 m. It could be one of the first Robbergs made by Daniel Conradie - about 3 made with single footwell about 10 years ago.
Cheers Albert

If it is one of the original Robbergs, that's a unique ski. Daniel Conradie was a very well known and loved paddler here in SA - he died tragically before he could finish the design which was eventually completed by Hubby Sandberg.

Cheers
Rob

Rob

Latest Forum Topics