new Evo on Oahu

More
15 years 2 months ago #2790 by PEDiamond
new Evo on Oahu was created by PEDiamond
just picked up what I think is the first Evo here in Hawaii...I am a veteran OC-1 and OC-6 paddler but new to surfskis...have tried the epic sport, conner C-ski, and Twogood Portlock, the Twogood the easiest for me prior to getting the Evo....I want to thank Bob Twogood for making the Evo available to me, and thank the designers for this wonderful ski....obviously I have little experience for comparison, but am blown away by how comfortable and stable this boat is, and what a pleasure it is to paddle...the majority out here are epic fanatics but this evo is so much more comfortable and less twitchy to me than the epic sport that I didnt hesitate to buy it.....any hints on maintenance or general upkeep?.....aloha....peter diamond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Franklin
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #2791 by Franklin
Replied by Franklin on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Congratulations Peter!
I have the Evo in Kevlar. Mine weighs 25.5 pounds. I love it, great boat.
I am heavy (225 pounds), I was scooting down and leaning back on the boat. I paddle with a pfd. I crushed the honeycomb in a small spot about four inches behind the seat. Totally my fault. If you have the lighter boat and are heavy, don't lean back to take breaks.
Daryl's boats are gorgeous. I love his seamless design.
I know you will enjoy your new boat and Daryl has been one of the finest people I have ever dealt with, very honest and really cares.
Best regards
Franklin Dickinson
Last edit: 15 years 2 months ago by Franklin.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #2794 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Peter,

If you can, get your hands on the surfing rudder. I have found that it makes a bit of a difference when on medium sized cross chop. I guess its just that extra bit of depth that helps, I don't know, but I now paddle with it exclusively, I find it makes it feel more stable.

As for maintainence, the boat doesn't need much. I just have our club members rinse it after each use. I also put a small sponge in the rudder well. I rinse that as well every time (not really needed, but I've also never had a frozen rudder.)

You'll love the boat. Enjoy.

Sean

More
15 years 2 months ago #2796 by PEDiamond
Replied by PEDiamond on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
thanks for the quick replies.....I also have the lightweight kevlar layup....I only weigh 165 so I dont think it will be a problem but thanks for the headsup....took it out in mild chop and 15 knot tradewinds today, no problems, am working up to a run with a buddy outside the reef in the real swells soon, I hope....the surfing rudder sounds like a good idea....what size is it as I may have it on now....did it have to be special ordered?.....thanks again...aloha....peter

More
15 years 2 months ago #2805 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Peter- quick noteon the surf rudder , it works great however even with a weed guard it is a kelp and eelgrass catching fool ! I am thinking of making myself another with more rake as the factory one has little (double edge sword here as that may well be the design reason it works so well),good luck and yeah don't ya just love that evo bucket !Sandy

• Franklin
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #2806 by Franklin
Hi Peter
I forgot, what Sean said is great advice. My boat came with the triangular six inch rudder. With me on the boat, it did not like waves bigger than a couple of feet (unless perpendicular, broached. It would also not turn the boat very good on waves). I got Daryl's eight plus vertical rudder, awesome! Sadly, I loaned the big rudder to another buddy who also has an Evo...he lost it (oh well). If you have the "new" eight inch rudder (shaped kind of like a dolphin's dorsal fin) you have Daryl's new rudder, good for you. If your rudder is six inches and triangular, get one of Daryl's other bigger rudders and use the current rudder for flat water. the bigger rudder will totally change how your Evo performs in the waves!
Good luck
Franklin Dickinson

• Franklin
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago #2807 by Franklin
I don't have eel grass or other rudder catching problems where I paddle. I have the rudder it sounds like you have, very vertical. Daryl's new rudder is big and it does have a lot of sweep in the forward edge. That rudder will probably work better where you have eel grass problems.
Best regards
Franklin Dickinson

More
15 years 2 months ago #2808 by PEDiamond
Franklin, Sandy and Sean: Thanks again for your replies....I do have the "new" rudder, it is over 8" and shaped roughly like a dorsal fin, so should be good in our usual swells...the rate limiting factor of course will be me and not the rudder, but any little advantage helps and I had read something about using a larger rudder elsewhere......we have gentle conditions forecast for the south shore this weekend so I hope to get out both days.....aloha.....peter

More
15 years 2 months ago #2812 by bobmoffatt
Replied by bobmoffatt on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Hi guys,
I also have just fitted the new rudder (the one with the cutaway on the top of the trailing edge?).Only tried it a few times but certainly have noticed a difference especialy on larger waves. I always felt the smaller rudder was "out of the water" on anything larger then a couple of feet .

flat water speed seems to be a little better,its certainly a lot narrower than the standard rudder.Angling across the face of a wave/swell now seems not as precarious.
Never had a problem with weed here in Perth even with the little rudder and built in weed deflector.
regards Bob

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
15 years 2 months ago #2815 by PEDiamond
Bob:no problems with weeds or kelp here either.....how did you get the new rudder?aloha....peter

More
15 years 2 months ago #2816 by ponson
Replied by ponson on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Can someone please post pics of the new rudder?

I have a 6.5 and 8.5 inch rudder. My 8.5 inch is much more rectangular than dorsal shaped. I assume it is the older version.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2817 by bobmoffatt
Replied by bobmoffatt on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Hi Peter, ordered my rudder through the Australian supplier in Sydney.
Bob.

Past skis,Spirit Racing ski,Singer SLSA ski, Davenwood Eradicator, Custom Kayaks ICON, Think EVO, Stellar SR excel...current skis Stellar SES advantage, Stellar SEI excel

More
15 years 2 months ago #2820 by firecon
Replied by firecon on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
Did they have the boat at the store? I go by more often than my wife would like, and I never saw it. Give us a report if you get out this week...
Thanks,
Steve

More
15 years 2 months ago #2822 by PEDiamond
Steve: He has one there now...he brought two over , one for me if I decided I liked it, and one for a demo boat..when I picked mine up, the other was there but still wrapped in shipping paper...I think it is the heavier(but cheaper) layup, not sure though as it was wrapped.....If you go by, talk to Bob Twogood, the other guys there are friendly but dont know much about the Evos........aloha.....peter

More
15 years 2 months ago #2826 by ponson
Replied by ponson on topic Re:new Evo on Oahu
bobmoffat, yep got hold of them and I am going to purchase one. Cheers.

Good luck with your ski PEDiamond, let us know how you go in rougher conditions.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2832 by PEDiamond
thanks ponson...the conditions today are as follows: North Shore has 35 foot faces, South Shore has 40mph winds with gusts to 60....lets see, this is a tough one....I think I will hold off on the surfski today, may be just a little too much for a beginner.....:) peter

Latest Forum Topics