Re: Legend

More
16 years 1 month ago #1689 by Will Hardman
Re: Legend was created by Will Hardman
"I'm hoping that Will, the Australian customer who has had a Legend for a month now, will be getting a review into surfski.info in the next few days."

Well I have had the Legend for a month and competed in 2 events in Sydney, Australia. I placed 19th in the Bridge to Beach and 10th in the Yarra Bay race in Sydney's Botany Bay.

I am used to paddling a spec ski (Slipstream). I have been keen to get into a lightweight modern ocean ski for a while. I part owned an XLR8 which i found quite good and stable in the big stuff. I also tried out a Mako 6 which my mate owns, I found it to be very fast but a little too unstable in choppy water for me. I guess i could have got used to it.

I started paddling 2 years ago with a squad of guys on kayaks - 'Jimsquad'. My background was a bit of surf swimming in the surf club. The coach is Jimmy Walker (former olympian) and now NSWIS coach. I was lucky because i got in with a group of good paddlers and certainly a good coach who gave me tips as to the right technique early on and monitored my technique as i went.

I also competed in the world cup race in durban last year and placed about 50th (i think). As you can see by my recent results, my paddling as a direct result of better technique and very fast ski has led to a rapid improvement.

As soon as i jumped on the Legend it was right for me. Very light (12kg) and felt just like paddling a kayak. It grabs the runs so well. I have been amazed at how easy it is to link runs out in the big stuff. Where before I would 'wallow' in between swells the legend allows me to glide across to the next swell or just simply go straight over the top to the next one. It feels like i have my bum on the deck and the rest of the ski is flying (I guess this is what the good paddlers feel when they are going well in races).

It is interesting time, my paddling is improving all the time and now my surfing as a direct result of using the legend has improved immensly.

I am hoping to do the Molokai race this year. A few other Sydney boys are heading over also. Should be a blast! I just hope the wind really blows and the swell is huge!! Give the Legend a true test.

Regards,

Willy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1690 by Farnsy
I'm currently in a Fenn XT glass and thinking(excuse the pun) of getting a Think Evo or Legend in Kevlar...any views on pros ond cons from anyone who has paddled all 3...I am still fairly new to paddling but comfortable in the XT and wanting a faster boat...any opinions?
Thanks
Alex

More
16 years 1 month ago #1691 by Will Hardman
Replied by Will Hardman on topic Re: Legend

I'm currently in a Fenn XT glass and thinking(excuse the pun) of getting a Think Evo or Legend in Kevlar...any views on pros ond cons from anyone who has paddled all 3...I am still fairly new to paddling but comfortable in the XT and wanting a faster boat...any opinions?
Thanks
Alex

Alex,

I have only paddled an Evo once and now own a Legend. I cannot comment on Fenn XT as i have never been on one.

The Evo is a very stable ski for someone who hasnt done too much paddling.
The Legend is also very stable but less stable than the Evo. It is narrower and has a radical new chimed hull design that seems to grab any size run with ease.

I own the light 12kg Legend and find it to be the fastest craft i have been on, this has alot to do with the weight and the stability. I dont miss a stroke when i paddle which has happened alot in the past.

The few times I have paddled out through the heads in Sydney where the water gets very rough due to the bouceback against the cliffs the Legend feels very stable. On the Legend i am able to hold my stroke and my speed togehter which i have never been able to do before.

I would recommend it to you, but you should contact the guys at Think to try it out for yourself.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1692 by Farnsy
Replied by Farnsy on topic Re: Legend
Thanks for the feedback Willie, I have organised to do a test run on both , so will be able to report back on comparison soon.

More
16 years 1 month ago #1693 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: Legend
Hi Willy have you had a chance to paddle in a big downwind like the southerly conditions over easter. If so how did the ski go with the big drops and drainage?

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #1694 by Will Hardman
Replied by Will Hardman on topic Re: Legend

Hi Willy have you had a chance to paddle in a big downwind like the southerly conditions over easter. If so how did the ski go with the big drops and drainage?

Sorry for delay in replying i have been in WA for the Aussie surf titles.
I did one big day from La Perouse to Rose Bay but was sick the whole way, it was a virus and should not have paddled. The guys i paddled with took off and left me wallowing throwing up. Dont know how i made it, but i did. As i arrived at Rose Bay the boys were jumping back on their ski's to come and see where i was.

So to answer your question, no not during Easter. But will be the next few weeks in preparation for Molokai

More
15 years 11 months ago #1695 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Legend
Hello All,

Some exciting news from Think Kayaks with the release of the new Carbon Legend.

I think you'll all agree it's a fantastic looking ski.

Feel free to contact us if you would like any further information.

Cheers.

Attachments:

More
15 years 11 months ago #1696 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Legend
Few more pics ;D

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics