New S1-R design

More
12 years 4 months ago #8662 by Mike C.
New S1-R design was created by Mike C.
Does anyone have feedback about the new model Huki S1-R since it was redesigned in 2011? (According to Huki, the bow profile and cockpit sides were lowered, the seat moved forward slightly, the maximum beam reduced to 18.5 inches, the hull further modified with a sharp ridge in the bow, and a ridge added to the top of the foredeck for better water shedding.)

Thanks,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• greggreene2
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #8674 by greggreene2
Replied by greggreene2 on topic Re: New S1-R design
Mike,
I own an S1X-Special and paddled the new S1-R at this year's SS Champs. I loved this boat. It was comfortable, very stable and the new look is great. It was my first real paddle in ocean conditions, and coming from the Midwest I wanted an enjoyable race with no swimming. The S1-R was a blast to surf, confidence inspiring and the perfect boat for me near the back of the pack. I can't comment on speed relative to other boats but I doubt I would have been any quicker in a narrower hull. Next year I will probably paddle on again if one is available. I tried a new XT as well and loved that too. However, coming from an S1-X this boat made me feel right at home. I can't comment on remounting because I never came close to having the chance to try.
Greg

More
12 years 4 months ago #8686 by Mike C.
Replied by Mike C. on topic Re: New S1-R design
Thanks Greg - much appreciated.

Mike

More
12 years 4 months ago #8714 by semdoug
Replied by semdoug on topic Re: New S1-R design
Where did you see or hear the info about the S1-R design mods? I don't see anything on the Huki website.

More
12 years 4 months ago #8728 by Mike C.
Replied by Mike C. on topic Re: New S1-R design
I leared of the S1-R modifications a few months ago when I exchanged e-mails with the owner, Jude Turczynski, regarding the boat. He hasn't updated the website, which is too bad because I think the modifications really improve what was already a great boat (I paddle one regularly that my club owns). He e-mailed me some photos as well. In my posted description above, I forgot to mention that the catch zone of the boat has been narrowed and the edges beveled as well.

Mike

More
12 years 3 months ago #8991 by semdoug
Replied by semdoug on topic Re: New S1-R design
Just saw a new model R on Huki's bargain page, looks nice.

More
12 years 3 months ago #8992 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re: New S1-R design
Happened upon photos of the new, improved R on the Bargains page as well. It seems a hair narrower, slimmed down across the board, and updated in a number of other ways. Very nice.

I hope Jude will take the time to publicize this. My older, double footwell fully flamed R, 'Ring of Fire' (after Johnny Cash's song) is one incredible boat. It has saved my a-- on more than one occasion-it's my 'go to' boat when things really get hairy. Light and extremely well made, with IMO the most precise steering system in the biz, it holds its own against faster HPS, when the going gets tough. When it gets tougher, it really begins to shine.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
12 years 3 months ago #9073 by ejpoulsen
Replied by ejpoulsen on topic Re: New S1-R design
I spent a couple hours with Jude at the Huki factory today. He was very informative and direct about all his designs. The new S1-R looks very very nice indeed...although I came home with an S1-X Special.

Latest Forum Topics