huki surf skis

More
15 years 2 months ago #2848 by nelson
huki surf skis was created by nelson
ive just got a HUKI S1x used it about 3 times and have noticed small bubbles/blisters apearing in the gelcoat on the deck 4-8mm,anyone know what causes this and if it is a sign of bigger problems ski is nice and light goes well in small chop now waiting for some wind

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2849 by Shaun
Replied by Shaun on topic Re:huki surf skis
How old is the ski? About 3-4 years ago I believe that he had some issue on contaminated foam core or something that caused the carbon to delam in small areas from the foam. If this is the problem it is an easy fix, and I believe that they can have someone do it for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Your best bet is to email Jude with pictures and see what he says. I have sent him emails for various things and he has been very helpful and quick to reply every single time. FYI, the demlamination problem happened with an S1-X that I used to have, and the fix is to drill a tiny hole in the middle of the delam area and use a syringe to fill the bubble with resin. Can't even tell that it ever happened.

P.S. Congratulations on the new boat. One of the best skis ever made, imho.

More
15 years 2 months ago #2851 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:huki surf skis
You can also get tiny gelcoat bubbles from duct tape that has been on the ski for a season or so, and from citrus based degreasing cleaners that you might use to clean the ski.
ERik

More
15 years 2 months ago #2938 by RobertMcG
Replied by RobertMcG on topic Re:huki surf skis
That's not good to hear Nelson, usually a sign of old or poorly cured gel. When the glass is layed up over it the resin eats into the styrene in the gel. Should have bought a Honcho!

More
15 years 2 months ago #2939 by RHamady
Replied by RHamady on topic Re:huki surf skis
I have a Huki that is 1 year old, it's an S1-R, fiberglass non-vacuum bagged, I love this ski. I also have had some small little "bubbles" in a couple places, I think it may have just been some air pockets or something, I'm no resin/shaper expert, but that's my idea. What you would want to do is put you mouth over the bubble and see if you can suck air through it. If you can, certainly get a little expoxy and fill the small area, sand around it first to get the epoxy to bond well. Even if you can't get any air through it, lightly sand it and fill the small void with epoxy so that water won't get in there and stay.

I wouldn't think it is anything major, if the epoxy job over the bubble doesn't look very good, find a cool sticker to put over it.....

Happy paddling,
-Rich

More
15 years 2 months ago #2941 by mnswamp
Replied by mnswamp on topic Re:huki surf skis
If you have any concerns about your Huki ski or canoe, please contact Jude directly. Jude is without question one of the most conscientious builders in the world, and will go well beyond the call to make it right.

Best regards

marsh jones
minnesota, us

More
15 years 2 months ago #2945 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re:huki surf skis
This is certainly the exception rather than the rule for a Huki ski. Will echo Marsh in saying that Jude builds amongst the finest of products, and stands by his work. I love my S1-R as well-it's a superb design and outstandingly finished. When my boat was holed in a little mishap in a Nor-Easter, he bent over backwards to advise on the repair, as did Pat BTW, from Onnopaddles. Two class acts. Give Jude a call.

Mark

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

Latest Forum Topics