Review/performance of Fenn Elite SL

More
12 years 3 months ago #8997 by Rob1
The Fenn Mako Elite SL has been out now for sometime. I'm after some feed back from paddlers regarding their opinions and the performance of the ski and how it compares to other skis they have paddled. Furthermore it appears the carbon layup is the only construction type available in Australia, will the fibreglass options be heading this way. Thanks Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9008 by Rightarmbad
I think the situation in Australia is that those that can paddle the top end ski's tend to get the carbon ones anyways.

The Fenn's are quite good value in Australia compared to the likes of Epics, If I were to get one I would go with the carbon or wait for a second hand one.

There is a few appearing on geartrade already.

It's still on my short list, my only concern is if the cockpit really fits me, I think the hull is great.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 3 months ago #9014 by Dean Gardiner
We currently have SLs available in Australia in both Carbon and vacuum Fibreglass options. The Vac Glass is a great alternative to carbon only being about 2kg heavier but considerably less expensiive. I am paddling one myself. You will find the price point of these very attractive at $3100. We have stock in both WA and NSW and can get boats to any of our dealers throughout Australia. You can find your nearest dealer at www.oceanpaddler.com

Hope this helps you.

Regards
Dean

More
12 years 3 months ago #9015 by Dicko
Dean,
why do you paddle the vac-glass as opposed to the carbon?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9016 by Dean Gardiner
Hi Dicko
It is light enough for me and it cost me a lot less. The new Vac Glass layup is a really good alternative to those that dont want to spend the bucks on a carbon.
Cheers
Deano

More
12 years 3 months ago #9017 by Rob1
Thanks for the reply Dean. How do you find the SL compared to the Elite?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9019 by Dean Gardiner
Hi Rob1
The SL requires a little more time to master. I wouldnt say its tippier I would say it is edgier. Surfs really well, I think it is faster on the flat for me, turns better than anything, feels pretty nice to paddle. The elite is more forgiving especially in runs. Doesnt have the edge that the SL has. I paddle both and have no problems moving between the two as most of the top guys dont(judging by the results in HK where all were on Elites as the SL container didnt arrive).
My personal opinion is there is a performance advantage using the SL but you have to spend time on it to get it.

Latest Forum Topics