Fenn rudder

More
12 years 10 months ago #7138 by Boof Head
Fenn rudder was created by Boof Head
I recently fitted an Epic 9"surf rudder to my surfski with great results. A mate of mine who has a Fenn Elite wants a similiar style rudder on his ski. A quick search on the web indicates that Fenn don't have a large surf rudder available. Does anybody know of a compatible surf rudder to suit the Fenn?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7139 by heinvr
Replied by heinvr on topic Re:Fenn rudder
Hi there,
Here at our repair centre at Carbonology-Sport, we do custom rudders for almost every ski available in South Africa.

You could have an Epic Surf rudder shape put on a Fenn ruddershaft.

Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Regards,
Hein

More
12 years 9 months ago #7189 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re:Fenn rudder
G,day Hein. have passed your info on to my bud. How much would you be charging for a Fenn compatible 9" elliptical shipped to Aus?
Thanks for reply

More
12 years 9 months ago #7197 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:Fenn rudder
G'Day Boof

Orka paddles here in Cape Town also make custom surf rudders. Had one made for my FENN double. They also ship to The Lucky Country.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7215 by Trilobite
Replied by Trilobite on topic Re:Fenn rudder
Not to hijack this thread, but on the topic of Fenn doubles...

Just picked up an Elite double that has the swept back 'shark fin' rudder, and noted that all the new ones are coming with the more squared off 'old Epic style' blade. Since this used boat is new to me (first downwind run scheduled for this weekend), I'm curious which of the two designs is the more current spec. I've only tried it once in flat water, and it didn't seem to bring the boat around too well.

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

More
12 years 9 months ago #7218 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Fenn rudder
The ones I've seen have the squared off rudder. Neither one (in my opinion) is great and my buddy Dale Lippstreu, who owns the boat, is in the process of making an elliptical rudder.

I'll feed back on progress when we we've tried it.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 9 months ago #7220 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Fenn rudder
I found an old mako millenium rudder that I use with my mako6. The "dolphin fin" rudder taht came with the mako is nothing but a piece of s..t !
I own a XT double with the dolphin rudder and 'm not satisfied... I think I will use the shaft from that rudder to build an elliptical one. Do you have any suggestions for dimensions ?

More
12 years 9 months ago #7222 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re:Fenn rudder
Dimensions? Not really, but I'll get my tame rudder expert (Dale Lippstreu!) to comment...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 3 months ago #9460 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re:Fenn rudder
This is what I intend to build. What do you think ? Any advice is welcome.
Remember, this rudder is for a XT Double.

Attachments:

More
12 years 3 months ago #9470 by waterbornewarrior
Replied by waterbornewarrior on topic Re:Fenn rudder
Planform 1 might be too twitchy (too quick to respond to input). You couId adapt to this in a single, but in a double you might throw your partner around. Planform 2 looks great! Plenty of power, manageable response.

Your foil is OK, but you could go thinner. For example, that looks like a NACA 12, max width about 12% of the chord. You could go with a NACA 10 and it would work fine with lower drag. Any foil is going to be a drastic improvement over the Fenn rudder, which if you look at it from the top, probably has concave sides - AACK!

More
12 years 3 months ago #9473 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: Fenn rudder
I bent my rudder the other day, not much, but it bent, and there was no contact, only water forces.

So wondering how a 8mm Fenn shaft will hold up to the larger forces created by the larger rudder you build.
My Epic is a 10mm shaft and obviously cannot take it all.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9474 by Hiro
Replied by Hiro on topic Re: Fenn rudder

Planform 1 might be too twitchy...Planform 2 looks great!...Your foil is OK, but you could go thinner.

...wondering how a 8mm Fenn shaft will hold up to the larger forces...

You're scaring me !
So I downsize planform 2 and make it thinner. If you think it has still too much area, I could make a cutaway at the base of the rudder. (outline3b)

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Hiro.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9483 by Rightarmbad
Keep it thick and revel in the extra turn ability before stalling.

2mm won't mean too much in drag, but will make it much more resistant to stall.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #10279 by Hiro
I finaly made something that's just between planforms 1 an 2

tuaruavaa.blogspot.com/2012/02/un-nouvea...our-mon-fenn-xt.html

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Hiro.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10287 by Rightarmbad
Looks to have quite a thick trailing edge, or is it a trick of the photo?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10290 by Hiro
Photo was taken with a strange angle, and with macro mode. Trailing edge appears thicker than it is really. Also, I've done some more sanding after I took this pic and before I painted the rudder.

Latest Forum Topics