Cable cover material?

More
14 years 7 months ago #3600 by postal256
The internal steering cable cover on my Mako Mill must have shrunk over time, as it pulled free from the rudder box by several inches as well as about to pull free from the area near the footwells. I can't seem to pull it tight enough to reach anymore (I cut a hole in the deck to access it near the rudder box).

Where can I find a suitable cable cover? I checked my local West Marine and they had only split cable covers of limited length. Where online would have this? I'm in the US.

Also, was thinking of switching to Dyneema.. if I do that, what's the preferred method of tying off at the tiller and at the pedals? Or should I just try to remove the crimps from my SS and reuse it? any opinions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3601 by ACE
Replied by ACE on topic Re:Cable cover material?
Hi

You can try your local air brake automotive repair company - they might have some tubing that will work.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3602 by YBA/Jim Murray
1/4" poly flow tubing with straight compression connector at each end of the tube(s). This is commonly used for pneumatic controls and sold by industrial suppliers. Use any colour as long as it is black.
J.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3603 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:Cable cover material?
Someone off-forum told me to use irrigation polyethylene tubing and I remembered we had a long roll of it at our office.. It's black and 1/4 and should work fine.

Jim, I assume you meant polyethyelene and not polyurethane.

Now to find a specific Spectra/Dyneema source.. are some types better than others? 12 strand or something else?

More
14 years 7 months ago #3604 by YBA/Jim Murray
Postal 256-Yes to polyethylene tubing. I said black because it withstands UV and oxidation best. The irrigation tubing I see is brown, has a thinner wall and would be OK too. It is all inside the boat anyway. You need something to keep the ends from disapearing so I suggested straight compression fittings of nylon or other plastic.
I don't see the point of using cable other than SS- with SS crimps. Don't reuse old crimps
Dyneema/spectra are both UHMW polethylene. You can tie it but if like me you are no boy scout, you should put a heat shrink around the knot so it won't unravel.
J.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3605 by postal256
Replied by postal256 on topic Re:Cable cover material?
Thanks Jim. I think Rainbird brand also makes brown irrigation tube, but I've got some black from them and it has decent wall thickness. The compression fittings should work great to keep it from shrinking or sagging into the interior of the boat. The spectra line should weigh it down less too, I suppose. I think I'll just get some Ocean 3000 dyneema from West Marine since they are down the street and can order it in.

Latest Forum Topics