Carbon Mako6 v Glass Mako Elite?

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #3545 by freddy8064
I just thought I'd throw this one out there and see what people think.

(i) Is a carbon Mako6 tipper than a glass Mako Elite? :S

(ii) Does a heavier boat have more stability in open water over a carbon boat?

(iii) Does the tight,snug fit of the Mako Elite seat make it more stable compared to the "looser" fitting seat of the Mako6?

I ask these questions re: the old question of sacrificing speed for stability, or vice versa? :blink:
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by freddy8064.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3549 by Nige
I currently own a carbon Elite, after having had a carbon Mako 6 for 2 years. To answer your questions:

1. In flat, calm conditions the carbon ski is slightly more unstable than the glass one, but the difference is not really major.

2. In rough windy conditions the lighter boat is significantly more unstable than the glass one, as the light weight of the carbon ski makes it very responsive to chop and wind.

3. In my experience, yes: I actually find my Elite is more stable than my old Mako 6 because I fit much more snugly and comfortably in the Elite, and I much prefer the Elite for this reason.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3553 by [email protected]
I also have a carbon Elite after having owned a carbon Mako6.

I do find the Elite slightly more twitchy than the Mako6 - especially in very strong head/side-winds. On the other hand, I find the Elite bucket extremely comfortable and that gives some confidence even in rough conditions.

I've also paddled the 14kg V12 as opposed to the 10kg V12 Elite and I thought the heavier boat noticeably more stable.

In my opinion most super-light boats are more twitchy then their heavier counterparts. (I didn't find this with the Mako6 though.)

Going back to your questions:

1. I don't think so.
2. Yes, in my opinion.
3. Yes, in my opinion.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• timberjack
  • Visitor
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #4052 by timberjack
Replied by timberjack on topic Re:Carbon Mako6 v Glass Mako Elite?
I am the owner of Mako 6 carbon. what is practical speed difference Mako6 - Elite in flat conditions?
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by timberjack.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4059 by nell
ONe problem with the glass Mako's is the weight. They're really heavy. I know a guy with a glass Elite that he claims is 38 lbs. If the question is a carbon Mako 6 vs a glass Elite, I'd go for the Mako 6 without question.

Latest Forum Topics