SCUPPER LEAK/REPAIR

More
1 year 9 months ago #39983 by Shazzy
SCUPPER LEAK/REPAIR was created by Shazzy
Hiya all, I'm new to this game so forgive my ignorance. I live in Mauritius and have a FENN SWORDFISH S . Its taking water and I think its around the scuppers.
I poured tinted water into the bung hole air vent on the top of ski and the only place the tinted water was visible coming out was around scuppers.
My plan is to take off the scuppers and repair the kayak myself. I cannot find anyone on the island to assist. The local boat house guys filled the scupper holes with silicone (dumb move) anyway have removed this. I'll cut off the black scupper fittings but what next ? Sand down then what ? Epoxy and fiberglass ? Just resin ? I have no idea .
I've looked on google and you tube but nothing specific.
Where do I purchase a new pair of scupper fittings to fit post repair ?
Thanks Sharon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39984 by [email protected]

Hiya all, I'm new to this game so forgive my ignorance. I live in Mauritius and have a FENN SWORDFISH S . Its taking water and I think its around the scuppers.
I poured tinted water into the bung hole air vent on the top of ski and the only place the tinted water was visible coming out was around scuppers.
My plan is to take off the scuppers and repair the kayak myself. I cannot find anyone on the island to assist. The local boat house guys filled the scupper holes with silicone (dumb move) anyway have removed this. I'll cut off the black scupper fittings but what next ? Sand down then what ? Epoxy and fiberglass ? Just resin ? I have no idea .
I've looked on google and you tube but nothing specific.
Where do I purchase a new pair of scupper fittings to fit post repair ?
Thanks Sharon.

Hey Sharon.

Check this article out, it may help: www.surfski.info/tips/story/1055/bullet-scuppers.html

You can get the scupper kits from republicsportadventure.com/

I hope that helps!

Rob

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
1 year 9 months ago #39985 by Shazzy
Replied by Shazzy on topic SCUPPER LEAK/REPAIR
Thanks Rob
Not so sure I'm skilled enough to be drilling holes into the ski !!!

More
1 year 9 months ago #39989 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic SCUPPER LEAK/REPAIR
Common problem, I don't remove the scuppers when I repair them. Most important is to make sure there is NO water in the ski, this will take a long time to dry out.
I drill the existing hole out with a 16mm countersink bit, then insert a 16mm hollow tube into the hole.
Basically what I do but a lot more to it.
Alternately you can block the hole with some tape in the cockpit, turn the ski upside down with the nose down and fill the holes with epoxy, you need to make sure it is quite viscous, not thick. this will reseal the leaks, you might have to do this a few time till the hole is filled. Then remove the tape and redrill the holes from the cockpit side, the epoxy is not very hard to drill.
However without any hand skills I fear this won't work well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

Latest Forum Topics