Fenn Swordfish S and Nelo 560L Mark 2

More
7 years 7 months ago #27064 by baard
Hi there.

as an intermediate paddler i am looking into getting a second boat for calm and small conditions.
i managed to paddle the Fenn Elite S in very calm conditions (for a short stretch). but i was not able to rotate proparly due to instability.
The Fenn bucket seems to fit me quite well, but the sides on the Elite S felt a bit high.
I am testing a fenn swordfish later today.
My question then:
Is there a big difference between the Swordfish and the Swordfish S?
And i hear lots of good things about the new Nelo 560.

Could anyone comment as to where they think these 3 boats would place in Wesley Echols comparison chart maybe?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #27075 by photofr
In terms of stability, the Swordfish S will have way more stability than the Nelo 560 Mark 2, The Swordfish S will still have considerable more stability than the Elite S, especially in rough water. The stability of the 560 Mark 2 will be close to the stability of the Elite S, but the Elite S has a deeper bucket so you still end up with a more stable ski.

Everything else being equal, many riders should find the Nelo 560 Mark 2 to be faster than the Elite S: acceleration will be difficult to match since the Nelo 560 is only 5.6 meters long.

If the Fenn Elite S is too unstable for you, it would seem you would be better off staying on your current ski a little while longer: spend this season's money on couple of private classes with an instructor, and try to paddle a little more often. You are almost there.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by photofr.

More
7 years 7 months ago #27084 by baard
Thanks .

i paddled a used Swordfish today and i think it could be a perfect match for me. surprisingly stable, but still only 45cm wide so it is very quick and easy to keep at a high(ish) cruising speed.
next question then would be if anyone have some tricks as to how i can close the drains on the flat?
if i slow down for a few seconds the cockpit fills very quickly. and once i accelerate the water comes over the hump and chills the old groin area :) with the cold waters of Norway thats not something you want :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #27090 by crallan
Regarding the Swordfish and Swordfish S.
The Swordfish S is a refined Swordfish, the hull is the same but with less volume in the front, lower hump, bucket a little closer to the front, the same goes for the rudder.
My take on the two. In flat or calm days I'd say the differences are extremely small. The lower volume of the S sits it lower in the water making it a bit more stable. The seating position is better in the S (for me).
The biggest differences appear when it's howlin' especially in steeper waves.
The lower front is less affected by wind, cross and side wind is easier in the S.
The forward placed bucket makes it easier to catch waves.
The forward placed rudder also helps in steeper/shorter waves.
All in all I'd say the S is definitely a better boat as a G2 should be. And both are WAY more sable then the 560(L).
Regarding the Wesly chart I'd place around the other Intermediate boats, tippier then the V10s

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
7 years 7 months ago #27091 by Hacker Mike
I just use two Fenn rubber bungs cut shorter.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #27103 by baard
I see you have a swordfish carbon and a glass vacuum Crallan
Any difference in stability due to the weight?
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by baard. Reason: spelling

More
7 years 7 months ago #27104 by crallan
Hm, well the carbon vacuum (S) is definitely twitchier/livelier, but on the other hand, I do find it more stable due to lower volume, so all in all I'll say the S is more stable... But with two identical skis, i'd think the lightest version would be a tad tippier. With that said I think they're both super stable, not the fastest in the flat but fast, agile and (very) funny in dw conditions :woohoo:

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
7 years 7 months ago #27105 by baard
Tried a second hand swordfish (not S) in the glass vacuum layup a few days ago and loved it.
Found this quote on the interwebs later that night : "the Swordfish will pick up a runner in a bathtub" :)
Looking for a dealer in Norway as we speak :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #27106 by crallan
fenn.no/
Har flera kompisar som köpt av dem!
Mvh/
K

Swordfish S Carbon
Swordfish glass vacuum

More
7 years 7 months ago #27107 by baard
fant den siden ja:) har sendt dem melding

More
7 years 7 months ago #27111 by Dicko
I used to make one way valves on the drains by sticking a flat piece of rubber or 2mm EVA that was slightly bigger than the drain hole under the scupper hood. Worked a treat. Lets water out, slows the water coming in to a trickle. Carefully stick some silicon at the back of the scupper hood then push the rubber in until it sits flat over the drain hole.
I've also heard of people using the valves out of old diving snorkels as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: crallan, 10157485477680607@facebook

Latest Forum Topics