Fenn Hybrid carbon and carbon lay up

More
10 years 7 months ago #18137 by surfski987
Hello,
I bought a Fenn Glide carbon vacuum ( as rear sticker says )
My friend bought a Fenn Glide Hybrid carbon.
When we look inside the boat through the plug hole, we noticed together that the fabric is the same,black fine grid with clear square between lines.
I sent an email to Fenn factory but no answer. Silence !!!
Please fenn addicts, could you check if you Fenn carbon vacuum get the same fabric or not.
It's easy to check on day light with eyes.
I've got a Fenn elite carbon. When I look inside, all the fabric is black, it's carbon for sure.
Thank for you help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18138 by mario
Hi,
I think you would see the same fabric as I believe the different fabric is used in the cover rather than the hull (the hull and cover are made with different materials)
Mario
The following user(s) said Thank You: surfski987

More
10 years 7 months ago #18139 by surfski987
Yes mario you're right.
I'm just walking about the hull. I can't see the cover.
Hybrid carbon and carbon vacuum ( both fenn glide )have the same fabric hull. It's strange. As I said, my elite carbon have all black carbon hull.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18140 by Kayaker Greg
All you can see is one layer, if you look at diagrams of the Epics or the Stellars you will see that the ski's are made up of several layers of different materials, just because the inside layer is the same, doesn't mean that different materials have not been used between the inside and outside of the ski's. Have you weighed the two skis?

www.epickayaks.org/technology/construction-options/

www.stellarkayaksusa.com/usa/Construction_surf_ski.html
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18142 by Sandy
"Hybrid" constructions seem to go for a good balance of weight , stiffness and $$$ (duh right ! ) The pricey carbon is usually incorporated in and around the cockpit/mid section of the boat as this is where you get a good return of stiffness and strength for the whole ski . I have a hybrid huki S1XL with a carbon cockpit and I spec'd 6oz. FG cloth on the hull (the heavier cloth ,as opposed to the standard 3 oz). while a little heavier due to fabric weight and amount of epoxy it absorbs ,, provides increased stiffness. Huki is using pre peg laminate process so excess epoxy is very well controlled (way better IMHO than vacuum infusion) , my stiff and strong hybrid ski weighs.....25.2 lbs. !, and was $1000 bucks cheaper than full carbon....HYBRID ROCKS !

More
10 years 7 months ago #18143 by surfski987
So I weighed my glide carbon vacuum : 11.1 kg ( and not 10.5kg as Fenn dealers said )
We will weigh my friend hybrid this weekend to compare.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18145 by Kayaker Greg
Is your carbon ski the white or the new grey? The info I have from our Fenn dealer is as follows.

Fenn surskis are handmade and there is always a small variance in weight. In the old days the variance could be up to 2kg, but in the last few years I’ve found that weights between skis of the same construction generally do not vary by more than a few hundred grams.
Actual average weights of skis in the last container for different constructions were:
New carbon (grey finish): 10 to 10.5kg
Old carbon (white finish): 11kg
Hybrid (grey finish): 12.5kg
Vacuum glass: 14kg.
Glass: 17kg.

www.fennkayaks.co.nz/fenn%20skis.htm

More
10 years 7 months ago #18148 by surfski987
Hi kayaker Greg and thank you for your help,
My glide carbon vacuum is made with grey finish and my friend's hydrid too.

I know that ( 600 grs) it will not change anything during a race. It's only because I want for what I paid.

Are fenn hydrid carbon surfskis are vacuum or not ?
If not, maybe mine is hybrid carbon vacuum sold as a carbon vacuum ?

More
10 years 7 months ago #18149 by Kayaker Greg
Weighing your friends ski will tell you a lot. My Swordfish is the white Carbon Vacuum and I've never bothered to weigh it and I've made my own seat for it now so it will weigh slightly more anyway. I'm thinking of buying a Fenn Spark and hoping to buy another white Carbon Vacuum over the new Grey as white is easier to repair, the 1-.5kg extra weight does not concern me. I think you will find your friends Hybrid will be heavier.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18177 by owenw
Greg - You've either got a very understanding partner, or a great place to hide your skis ;)

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
10 years 7 months ago #18179 by Kayaker Greg
You just highlighted another reason why I want to buy another white ski Owen. ;)

• grasshopper
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #18206 by grasshopper
Replied by grasshopper on topic Fenn Hybrid carbon and carbon lay up
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Fenn Spark Greg.
I hadn't considered one as assumed it would be too unstable for my needs, however I found a few reviews that mention the stability as being quite good?

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #18207 by Kayaker Greg
I put an offer in on a near new one just too late a few weeks back. I didn't know it was for sale and mentioned I would be interested if it was, only to find out it had just been sold. The paddler said it was a lot of fun with the rocker but he wasn't convinced it was a fast ski. He paddles an SES and in conditions that I would struggle in my SES, so he obviously prefers the SES over the Spark. I am attracted to it because like the SES, it is made for the smaller paddler. I don't know how it compares stability wise. I have decided to sell my SEL because it is now way to big for me and does not sink enough into the water, I'm bobbing around feeling every ripple and I prefer something with less volume. The Spark is a little longer than what I like and it will be another month or more before a new one will be available and I really want a white one, not the new grey, so we will have to see what eventuates. I think the one I tried to buy is the only Carbon Spark in the country.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Kayaker Greg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grasshopper

More
10 years 7 months ago #18208 by surfski987
Hi everybody,

My friend hybrid carbon glide is 12,4 kg.
Case close for me but it's strange to see the same clothe in the kayak hull.
Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikatahiti

More
10 years 7 months ago #18253 by swimskier
For curiosity I also put my skis on a digital (fish) scale:
Carbon Glide (white) 10.48 kg :)
V10 Ultra 12.74 kg :unsure:
V8 Ultra 13.4 kg :huh:

Nelo 560 SCS, Nelo Cinco E XXL, Epic V8 Ultra,

Previous skis: Epic V14 Elite, Fenn Elite Glide Carbon, Epic V10 Ultra G2, EPIC V10L Elite G1,
Previous K1s: Nelo Cinco SCS XXXL, Vajda Infusion 2 XL Elite, Epic Legacy XXL Marathon,Elio Sprint-P Marathon

More
10 years 7 months ago #18291 by Hapuka
I have a hybrid carbon glide. weighed in at 11.5 kg. Awesome ski by the way

More
10 years 7 months ago #18326 by Oskar
Hi Greg,

There are 3 carbon Sparks in NZ and 4 more on their way. The three that are here weighed between 9.9 and 10.0kg.

Oskar
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

More
10 years 7 months ago #18327 by Kayaker Greg
Any white ones for sale? (I got to sell something first :sick: )

More
10 years 7 months ago #18328 by Oskar
I didn't specify colours so assume they will all be light grey. You should have asked a few weeks ago, would have been easy to organize a white one then.

More
10 years 7 months ago #18381 by TaffyMick
My Fenn Blue Fin, light grey carbon.. 10.45kg.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

Latest Forum Topics