Fenn Bluefin review

More
11 years 5 months ago #14579 by Love2ski
Fenn Bluefin review was created by Love2ski
I picked up a bluefin on the weekend for my wife. We paddle in Sydney (Middle Harbour etc) and I paddle an XT. We have both been paddling for about three months with Georgie renting a V8 most Sundays from Sydney Kayaks.

The bluefin matches closely to the V8 with a wide flat shape and paddling cutaways. Out boat is very nicely finished with the usual Fenn fit out: steel cables, carbon pedals etc. The fin is more elliptical than the XT shark fin. The boat weighed in at 14.5kg in vacuum glass. It specs at 14kg. The boat gives the sense of being very strong.

The bluefin is noticeably wider than the XT. In fact it makes my XT look quite slender. It also has a wide seat which is more shallow than the XT.

Georgie's first paddle was Sunday morning from Clontarf. There was no wind and a small swell rolling in the harbour. We headed out past Balmoral and around Middle Head. Middle head was pretty rough with boat wakes rebounding off the cliffs.

Georgies feedback was that the bluefin was as stable as the V8. She felt it cut through the swells easier. When she pushed hard she got up to 11kmh. Around Middle Head I fell out and Georgie paddled circles around me in the rough water.

Coming back in the bluefin was picking up the swells nicely. Georgie was able to sidesaddle mount easily.

In summary the bluefin is a true beginners boat. Very very stable, well made and good looking. It has a wide flat hull which is very different from the XT. It is not a replacement for the XT but is a new model.

We expect the bluefin will give new paddlers a lot of confidence and provide a very good platform to enjoy the ocean and to develop good technique.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #14580 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Re: Fenn Bluefin review
Bluefin on the left XT on the right
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago #14581 by Love2ski
The proud new owner. Great day in Sydney
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago #14582 by Love2ski
Nice spot for a break
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago #14583 by Love2ski
The bluefin is in front. It is pretty flat.
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago #14584 by Love2ski
One more for luck
Attachments:

More
11 years 5 months ago #14585 by Kayaker Greg
All these new ski's are great to get more people into the sport. The guys at the club were just complaining there are not enough women getting into the sport although there are plenty doing multi sport here. Skis like this should help the sport grow with time.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14608 by Dean Gardiner
Bluefin is now available in Australia for demos at Oceanpaddler. Www.oceanpaddler.com

Latest Forum Topics