v10s stability and speed versus 16x and 18xsport

More
12 years 9 months ago #7290 by corsica
hi, i have a v10sport and i'd like to purchase a kayak more stable, in order to take picture, day trip or longer.
has anyone tried the 16 x or 18x sport?
what about stability and speed?
i can't try them(there is no dealer in my island)and i wonder if i should buy the 16x or the 18x sport.
thanks
charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7291 by Tom_D
I own an 18x as well as a V10sport. The 18x is slower than the surfski, but it is still a nice quick sea kayak. The stability of the 18x is much greater than than the V10 Sport. The 18x feels like a stable high performance sea kayak but allows the same seating position as a surfski/K1 and so encourages a better stroke. The only problem with the 18x is the old style rudder. The old small rudder performs poorly in some downwind condition. Epic make a new larger rudder that can be retrofitted if you buy a used boat.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7292 by corsica
thanks Tom,
i didn't think the rudder could be retrofitted!(excuse my bad english, wich is getting worse and worse).if the 18x is a lot more stable than the v10s,i'd rather choose the 18xsport than the 16x so.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7294 by chriswalkeralive
I owned the 18x Performance for two years and absolutely loved it.
I really enjoyed the light weight construction so, getting to and from the storage was great. I loved the ability to play downwind and work the kayak into the wind.
I then graduated to a Rapier 20, and although faster, I lost the freedom to go alone outside protected waters.. I'm in the market for another 18x and will probably get the new one, new rudder, hatch covers etc look awesome.
I do mention however, that this is still, in relative terms, a tippy kayak compared with other sea kayaks. This is understandable because it has speed in mind. I had around 20 opportunities to accidentally practice my rolling skill during the two years... mainly while taking a drink, eating a sandwich or doing something other than paddling. So, have a good pump, a good roll, and be ready for those moments.
Other than that, it's a dream design....

More
12 years 9 months ago #7295 by corsica
thanks chris
i don't know how to roll(there will noone to teach me) and i will be alone most of time.i think i'd rather take the 16x for extra stability, and the v10s when i want speed. thanks for your return about tippiness.
charles

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #7296 by chriswalkeralive
Iif you go in for a swim in a kayak and you are away from shore, there's no remount, so it's best, no matter what kayak you paddle, to learn re-entry - then the choice is easier. Just remember all kayaks, no matter how stable, can tip you out. This is standard kayak safety and an equally, if not more important element than kayak selection.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by chriswalkeralive.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7297 by corsica
ok chris, my bad english limits my writing.if i want a new kayak, that's for be able to take photos, rest, so i think the extra stability of the 16x would fit me.
of course i 'll learn to roll but:
-there is no club or teacher where i live(in an island!!) and i think it will take time to learn it alone!i 'll try the paddle float technique and a pump until my roll is efficient.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7305 by red_pepper
I don't know that the 16X is necessarily any more stable than the 18X, but if you're concerned about stability, pick up an 18X Sport (22" wide hull). Still a fast, efficient boat, but more stable. The Epic V8 surf ski is based on the 18X Sport hull, and would probably be pretty stable for you as well.

More
12 years 9 months ago #7316 by kiwial
for extra stability, Harmony has some very handy sponsons that you can inflate and attach to the sides of your sea kayak to give that extra stability to take photos etc but still let you have a sea kayak that is speedy so you can still enjoy your paddling from shore to destination

More
12 years 8 months ago #7324 by corsica
thanks all guys for your help.
it will be the 16x, for more maneuverability than the 18x sport.stability seems to be nearly the same. of course the 18x sport is faster than the 16x, but at a relaxed pace, it isn't an issue.
kiwial, i 'd have a look to harmony sponsons.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11900 by jazzalbart
Yes I have paddled Epic 16X kayak once. The Epic 16X offers a unique combination of stability and speed as well as Epic 16X includes the advanced Epic Track Master steering system too.

Latest Forum Topics