Crack in footwell of V9

More
1 year 9 months ago #39934 by hailstreak
Hi all,

I just noticed a thin inch-long (2-3cm) crack in the footwell of my 8-month old V9 Performance behind the footplate (see pic attached). It is located right before the surface starts to curl up toward the bung. I imagine this is from the stress of the footplate, though I've always used the rubber feet and lately a thin strip of plastic to protect that area. For now, I cover the crack with some tape while paddling, hence the residue in the picture.

My V9 is still under warranty, but is it worth the hassle of going through Epic to get it fixed? Does it suggest a more significant weakness or defect? I have zero knowledge of surfski repair. Considering the location of the crack, appearance of the repair doesn't really matter. Is there an easy way to patch it?

Just wanted to get some thoughts before making a trip to the dealer.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39935 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Crack in footwell of V9
Definitely get it sorted under warranty. It is best to keep water out of any composite laminate. The performance is an epoxy construction so water will have no impact on it but always good to keep it sealed anyway.

As for a structural problem, not to worry about that, all should be just fine.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39938 by hailstreak
Replied by hailstreak on topic Crack in footwell of V9
Thank you for the reply, Ranga. Good to know that it is not likely a serious issue. I've been super careful with the ski, so I was surprised to find this. I have reached out to Epic, so we'll see what happens.

Latest Forum Topics