Which boat for a 183cm / 95kg person

More
2 years 6 months ago #39068 by makrmark
Hi All,

I'm reasonably large at 6' and 95kg and I'm trying to choose a surf ski that will be fast and stable but still fit in my garage.

I could probably go up to 5.5m length at a stretch but ideally 5m would be the maximum for both storage and ease of carrying.

I can see my choices are primarily between v5 (composite), v6 & v8.

The v5 looks like a fantastic little boat but I'm worried I will be too tall+heavy for it and it would subsequently be too slow and unstable.

v6 looks like a good compromise boat but I don't need the extra storage options so may be paying extra ($ and weight) for something I don't need.

And then I worry that I'll be too slow to join a group paddle if I get anything less than a v8.

I tend to paddle on Sydney Harbour rather than open water - but the swells can still get quite large.

Advice?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #39075 by TomVW
Hi Mark, 

I am about the same size and weight and am currently paddling a Nelo550L (previous gen).
I absolutely love it, way faster than the next lower tier in terms of length.
Epic V7 and Think Nitro I also own(ed) are significantly slower, as well as heavier due to their PE construction, but obviously also much sturdier.
So, if you are after a reasonably fast ski, stretching the storage space to 5.5m instead of 5m really pays off, in my opinion...
Perhaps a Nelo 540 would be a bit more manageable for you in terms of length?

Best regards, 

Tom 

More
2 years 6 months ago #39077 by mirovich89
You might wanna consider Stellar 16S or 14S. They are more of SOT kayak, so very stable and can easily handle your weight and height. 

More
2 years 6 months ago #39079 by zachhandler
V5 is a pretty slow boat relative to the usual beginner v8 class of skis. V6 lacks understern rudder so it will not perform well on waves. I would look instead at the nelo 520, 540, or 550 in xxl. I have a 550L. It is really a very competent little ski. Very stable and forgiving in rough conditions and fast enough on the flat. Nelo ergonomics are good too. It is a joy to handle a shorter ski between car and garage as well. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
2 years 6 months ago #39089 by mrcharly
Why not a Nelo 510 or Epic V7?

I think either will be ok with your weight.

The 510 is fine on big chop and confused seas.

• Goldschmidt
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago #39094 by Goldschmidt
Replied by Goldschmidt on topic Which boat for a 183cm / 95kg person
I too paddle in Sydney with a few groups and am 95kg and 6'5".

You won't keep pace with groups on flat water, no matter how fit you are, in a <5m ski. Alternatively, you could go down the spec ski route in the surf with the surf life saving clubs.

I suggest you check out some of the flat water groups when lockdown lifts soon. Shark Island Paddlers group heads out from Woollahra Sailing Club and there are plenty of helpful members there on a Tue, Thu or Sat morning. There's also a Dolls Point group that paddle on Botany Bay from Georges River 16ft Sailing Club.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

More
2 years 6 months ago #39096 by Reavley
You might want to check with Mark Sundin at Expedition Kayaks in Sydney. No dealer will carry every brand of surfski, but these guys carry several and I get the impression that they genuinely want to get people into surfskis that will work for them. Also they have all kinds of experience downwinding in your harbour as well as on the other available runs in your area. I sure wouldn't mind catching a wave at Bundeena if I ever got the chance...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goldschmidt

More
2 years 6 months ago #39097 by makrmark
Thanks all for tips.
Apologies this forum seems completely broken for me right now (after I log in to reply) so I hope this gets through.
Mark

• Goldschmidt
  • Visitor
2 years 6 months ago #39098 by Goldschmidt
Replied by Goldschmidt on topic Which boat for a 183cm / 95kg person
Agree that Mark can point you in the right direction.

Am sure he'll agree that you won't keep up with any flat water groups in Sydney on a V5, no matter how fit you are.

I am a bit taller than you and 98kg... ended up with a 6.4m long ski for the flat and a short spec ski for the ocean. Pity my small Honda Jazz hatchback, it wishes it was longer to match the ski!

Good luck and see you out on the water soon.

Nathan

Latest Forum Topics