Identifying layup/Gen of inherited V8's

More
2 years 8 months ago #38875 by kayakingguy
A friend of mine passed away and left me two Epic V8's...  I know this has probably been covered before, but I'm having a hard time finding info on Gen 1 and Gen 2 layups...

Not sure how to identify which Gen the boats are. They have Black bow and stern. The serials look like they might say 2010...
Can anyone tell me which layups had which color schemes in each Gen and how to tell the difference?

Sorry, I know this has been covered before. Hate to ask. He thought they were one step down from the black body/white tip model, but not sure if he was correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #38876 by [email protected]
Here's how the serial numbers (used to) work - I doubt that it's changed:

Example:  GIP7Z10181909 EK12006

EKI2006 is the year the boat was designed. (2006)
909 means it was manufactured in September 2009.
7Z10181 is the serial number.

Does that match with the numbers on your boats?

The black tip boats were/are the "Performance" lay-up:
  • Infusion grade foam core
  • A composite hybrid of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and Kevlar
  • Vacuum infused, heat-cured epoxy
  • Black bow & stern

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
2 years 8 months ago #38877 by kayakingguy

robin.mousley wrote: Here's how the serial numbers (used to) work - I doubt that it's changed:

Example:  GIP7Z10181909 EK12006

EKI2006 is the year the boat was designed. (2006)
909 means it was manufactured in September 2009.
7Z10181 is the serial number.

Does that match with the numbers on your boats?

The black tip boats were/are the "Performance" lay-up:

• Infusion grade foam core
  • A composite hybrid of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and Kevlar
  • Vacuum infused, heat-cured epoxy
  • Black bow & stern

Thanks for the info. One of the numbers is:  GIP9Z972F515  EKI2010

So if I understand correctly: 5-15/May 2015 built, designed 2010. ? 

I don't know which years were cutoffs for which Gens in the V8. 

Feels silly asking about this. I got two nice skis but lost my best mate... We both were trying to figure out how good a deal he got on them back when he was alive. Great condition. Minimal superficial wear on a couple of the decals. 

He got em as a pair for 3k USD. 

More
2 years 8 months ago #38878 by [email protected]
Really sorry about your friend, but I think he got a pretty good deal.  New, the boats go for $3,500 each in the US now.

So $3,000 for a pair in "great condition" sounds like an excellent deal.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
2 years 7 months ago #38880 by kayakingguy

robin.mousley wrote: Really sorry about your friend, but I think he got a pretty good deal.  New, the boats go for $3,500 each in the US now.

So $3,000 for a pair in "great condition" sounds like an excellent deal.

Thanks mate. It's definitely gonna take a long time to get used to. I used to pick on him that he has shit for eyesight, but he definitely went over the boats well and they are cosmetically 95% from what I've seen.   Bought em from an older fella who had shoulders that got too bad to use em.

Do you know what years the V8's switched from "Gen1" to "gen2" and "gen3"?

More
2 years 7 months ago #38881 by Ranga
There is no gen 3. Essentially the hull has always been the same but for a small tweak to the rocker. Gen 1 had the flat back deck without any chines or handles ain the cockpit and metal handles front and back and gen 2 has the thinned out back deck, chines (angles), handles in the cockpit and then later on the bailer as opposed to the ventury and plastic moulded handles front and back.
Construction has also not changed from the blue tip being the polyester fiberglass, the black the epoxy Soric honeycomb and the Red the epoxy Nomex honeycomb.

Latest Forum Topics