Flatwater speed - New V9 versus V10 sport versus V10 G3

More
3 years 10 months ago #36596 by Bodsy
G'day all, trying to get an update on the flatwater speed of these skis... I'm doing mostly flat water with some longer races, but like to ocean paddle when I can. Have owned the latest gen V10 sport ultra for a few years and found it a good balance of speed/stability.  Recently got hold of V10 gen 3 which seems great, comfortable, relatively stable and a little quicker than my sport.    Stability a bit challenging for me in the ocean with limited opportunities to get used to it in those conditions.  
The new V9 looks interesting and a bit more forgiving when I do get it into the ocean... 
Has anyone done any garmin/gps speed testing V9 versus V10 sport particularly - I've found the V10 sport to be pretty quick for the stability it offers.  Wondering if the V9 as a new design - although slightly wider than the Sport - might be just as fast??  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #36598 by Epicpaddler
I'm interested as well. When I compared the v8pro to the v10 sport, I couldn't tell much difference in stability or speed. The v10 sport seemed to have a larger cockpit. The g2 v10 seemed faster, but was above my ability when I started paddling skis. Now I'm looking to move up from my v8pro to a v10. The primary reason for the upgrade is flat water racing (when racing gets back on track here). The v9 seems like a v8pro with more rocker for down wind paddling. 

• rhainan
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago #36601 by rhainan
I have all three.  I suppose theoretical hull speed will tell you that the V10 is faster than the V10 Sport which is in turn faster than the V9. Real world factors such as water conditions and paddler size will skew the results, however.  Throw in some ripples and a boat wake or two and a less powerful paddler in a V9 could overtake a V10. The three are close and it doesn’t take much to equalize things. 

i don’t ever paddle my V10. It isn’t made for short people. I can barely reach the pedals. Maybe I would be faster in it on glass, but my races never have glass like water. 

I’ve only been in the V9 for a couple of weeks.  As has been reported by others, I can confirm that it is about as fast as the V10 Sport.  Faster?  For me, I don’t think so. If the water is so rough that the V9 has an advantage then I suppose I would be even better off in the V8 Pro. The V9 does have those sweet carry handles.  If I’m in a race with portages or a triathlon, those handles will help immensely. Running around with V10 on the shoulder is a good way to drop your boat.  Ask me how I know.

More
3 years 10 months ago #36607 by Epicpaddler
Interesting that you prefer the v9 to your other boats. Pretty cool. I love my v8pro, but I've convinced myself I'm ready for a more challenging boat like a v10. My v8pro is floating dock stable and good in all conditions. The stability is what allowed me to win a few races last season against people in v10's, v12's and v14's. As soon as the conditions picked up and the water was washing machine conditions I was the only one who could plow through without capsizing. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Levi M, Pereira

• rhainan
  • Visitor
3 years 10 months ago #36608 by rhainan
I wouldn't say I prefer the V9 to the other boats.  Like my kids, I love them each equally, but in different ways.  As an Epic dealer I have access to the entire line, yet for several years now I have spent 90% of my time split between the V10 Sport and the V8 Pro.  The V9 is complicating that dynamic and I can see it replacing the V8 Pro as my winter/open water kayak. The Sport will remain as my main ride all summer although I am back to flirting with the V10L.

If I could only have one boat I could see the V9 as being the choice as the best "all rounder".  

More
3 years 10 months ago #36614 by feeny
My findings/opinions:
  • The v9 hull has a smaller turning circle (IE out-turns) both the v8pro and the v10 and most definitely the v10 sport in flat-moderate conditions.
  • The cut away at the nose makes the v9 feel like much less of a sail catching the wind in cross chop, especially when compared with the v8pro. The v10 has the same cutaway nose. The v8pro has a huge nose by comparison and it is noticeable in cross wind/chop.
  • The v9 definitely glides better than the v8pro and is slightly faster in equivalent conditions.
  • I've always found the v8pro to be about equal in speed to the v10 sport. I believe this makes the v9 faster than the v10s.
  • The v10 seems a little faster in the flat or in conditions where I can put down full power without a second thought for stability. 
  • The handles on the v8pro and v9 are _#()&$* awesome. Epic should put these on all their boats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Levi M

Latest Forum Topics