Central Texas Epic surf ski paddlers

More
4 years 7 months ago #35037 by JBL
Anybody else in Central Texas on this board? 
My friend and I have V5s , I also have a V7. I paddle the V7 and use the V5 as a loaner.
We mostly paddle on Lake Georgetown, with a paddle down the San Marcos river on occasion. We started with sit on tops, tried  sit ins , went back to SOTs. 
 When we went looking for something faster we found www.risingphoenixadventures.com/, she rents/sells Epics. Very nice family run operation. We rented the V5s, I had a hard time first time out, the rudder was askew and I did not realize it. Fixed that, then I just did not get it.  The second time was much smoother and shortly after that i bought a V5. There was three of us that had V5s and we did rivers in this area, then one guy bought a V7. That changed everything, he would just pull away from us without trying. A year later I got the V7. The V7 is my ninth boat and by far my favorite.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #35044 by Dray
I have been lurking on this board for a awhile now, this is my first post.  The information has been extremely helpful to my beginning journey in the world of surfski.  I live in the Austin area so it is great to hear of some other folks in the area.  I have also rented boats from Rising Phoenix and getting close to purchasing a V7.  It would be great to meet up with you and the group at some point.

More
4 years 7 months ago #35046 by Cerca Trova
Having lived in Austin, and the central Texas area from 1980 to late 2017 I can think of many awesome places to paddle. On Lake Georgetown I use to put in at Cedar Breaks park and regularly paddle to TeJas park (when the lake is high enough) as it's way back in the San Gabriel river.
If your wanting to.meet fellow paddlers, and many are some of the most competitive paddlers anywhere go to Festival beach park by the boat ramp on Town Lake aka Lady Bird lake in downtown Austin. 

• rhainan
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #35047 by rhainan
Replied by rhainan on topic Central Texas Epic surf ski paddlers
It's nice to have ski paddlers check in from places that are not considered hot beds of high performance kayaking.  Our community is growing!  Downwind is the dream but rivers and lakes are where the action is from Texas to Maine.

More
4 years 7 months ago #35048 by JBL

rhainan wrote: It's nice to have ski paddlers check in from places that are not considered hot beds of high performance kayaking.  Our community is growing!  Downwind is the dream but rivers and lakes are where the action is from Texas to Maine.

• While it is true that Central Texas is not widely thought of as a great place to paddle we have many beautiful rivers and lakes. Kayaking in general is very popular here, both fishing and recreational. Stand up paddle boarding is popular on the downtown lake as is rowing. 
  • The Texas Water Safari, the worlds toughest canoe race, is held on the San Marcos, and Guadalupe river every year and is highly competitive. Some of the strongest competitors live in the area and will give lessons on improving your technique and preparing for the race. 
The race www.texaswatersafari.org/  We like to go and  watch them portage or run Rio Vista Falls  www.facebook.com/texaswatersafari/videos...ls/1429097603881808/
The racer I took classes with paddlewithstyle.com/  World Class paddler and one of the nicest people you would ever meet
Yes, DOWNWIND IS THE DREAM! I've caught a few boat wakes, does that count? LOL
The reactions we get to the Epics varies from, Never saw one like that before! to Some guy in 10 foot Pelican wanting to race!

• MCImes
  • Visitor
4 years 7 months ago #35049 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Central Texas Epic surf ski paddlers
Ask this same question on the RiverMiles.com forum. That's the board for the Missouri River 340. There are several high performance boat paddlers in the central texas area on the fourm, though they may be paddling anything (ski, outrigger, texas unlimited boats, or other).

I've always wanted a tandem Starbor Kaynoe or Landik (a hybrid of a kayak and open canoe that can be paddled either single or double blade. think 24' long x 19" beam. They're some of the fastest ultra marathon boats build, and you can drag them over dams, rocks, logs, whatever. They're built to abuse and hold up)

Latest Forum Topics