I just won an Epic V10 Performance - advice needed

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #30908 by peteski
Hello All

I was very fortunate to have won an Epic V10 Performance surfski in the Mocke Millers Run of the Season competition. The surfski is the previous generation, I think, as it doesn't have the adjustable bailer.

I currently paddle a Fenn Swordfish S (Hybrid) and absolutely love the boat and can handle pretty much any conditions with a fair amount of confidence.

I have been told that the V10 will probably be too tippy and too large for me, I weigh around 85kg (1.75m tall), so I thought i would seek some advice here before attaching the rudder and trying it out.

I was playing with the idea of selling it to buy a more stable ski for my wife (V8 or Bluefin).

Any advice welcomed :-)

Fennix Swordfish S - Carbon Hybrid
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by peteski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30918 by Ranga
Where did they find that ski?
The 2nd generation V10 came out in 2012, so they stopped making that one at the same time. Sure there would have been some old stock to sell off, but 5 years?
Anyway it will be quite tippy for you on a Swordfish, but hey it might not be, give it a try.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30919 by Fath2o
I'd rather paddle the Swordfish.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30921 by LakeMan
Free is my favorite four letter word starting with F. Congrats on your win, no matter how old the ski is.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30923 by peteski
Yes... never look a gift horse in the mouth :)

I decided to give the V10 a try and was quite impressed with how stable it felt, might be because it's about 4kg heavier than my Swordie. I did some pointers in a 15-20 kt onshore yesterday and was quite pleased with how easily it got onto the runs... going upwind and crosswind didn't present any challenge either. The next step is to do a 20-30 kt downwind and see how that goes... nice to have options!

Thanks for the feedback.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30929 by nwsurfskier
I've got both a swordfish S and v10 ultra second gen. Agree with your findings. Not a huge difference in stability. I find the swordfish more fun in downwind because it feels more maneuverable and quicker to turn on the runs. I think some of it has to do with the shorter length of the swordfish.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30930 by peteski
Just did a Millers Rin on the V10 in 25-35 knots SE. I kept thinking I would be having more fun with the Swordfish, but then I guess it’ll take some time to figure the V10 out.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #30939 by feeny
Hehe, Peteski, can't help but notice, your signature seems to be missing a boat!
The following user(s) said Thank You: peteski

Latest Forum Topics