Broken stringer

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #23784 by swifty
Broken stringer was created by swifty
Hi all

Have recently moved from a spec ski to an Epic V8. Was looking for more stability to enjoy my outings a bit more. I still paddle it like a speccy though - mostly wave surfing with it.

It has come to my attention that it has some internal damage. When sighting through the breather hole I have noticed that the vertical stringer in front of the footwell has split horizontally along its length, creating some "squashiness" when pushing down on the hull. You can see the stringer bow outward along the split when you do this.

I am not sure if:
  • it was there when I bought it 2nd hand
  • snapped when riding over the top of waves when paddling out through the break, and slapping back down on the water surface
  • snapped when strapping it to my roofracks, or
  • a combination of the last two.

Has anyone had their vertical stringer fail before? I can only assume to repair it they will have two separate the top and bottom halves of the hull?

The ski is still very useable but I'm a bit OCD and it bugs me knowing it's there.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #23785 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Broken stringer
Pete I am no expert on Surfski repair, but I would imagine a "porthole" big enough to get an arm or two inside the boat could be cut out of the deck. After the repair was done, the removed section would be glassed back in place and hidden with white gel coat.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #23789 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Broken stringer
I'd concur - also a good time to install an "inspection port" or even a small hatch like Think boats have forward of the foot well. The stringer is some sort of foam, and if the damage area is accessible from the foot well area through such an inspection port (perhaps with the help of a long stick of wood), some glue can perhaps be pored-in and spread between the two halves of the stringer and let it set - all that without opening the hull. Similar to how they install internal seam tape between the hull and the deck.

If the whole stringer needs to be replaced, perhaps a larger opening will be needed... But even through a small one the existing stringer can be reinforced, IMO.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Kocho.

More
9 years 1 week ago #23790 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Broken stringer
Where are you located Swifty?

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #23791 by swifty
Replied by swifty on topic Broken stringer
Hi Dicko

Southern Brisbane

Cheers
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by swifty.

More
9 years 1 week ago #23792 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Broken stringer
Personally,
I think you should try and forget about it and go paddling.
Overall, I think that it is a minor issue and your ski should hold together just fine. The stringer on my XT has been broken for years after buckling it in the surf. Although I've had to repair it several times and tape the seam it works just fine. I have seriously abused this boat and when necessary repair it from the outside. Just watch the seam for cracks and water intrusion and repair with fiberglass and epoxy when necessary. Other than that "Forgetta bout it"

Good Luck! Captain Kirk

More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #23793 by swifty
Replied by swifty on topic Broken stringer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I emailed Epic Australia and received a reply today, in a nutshell they said:
  1. don't be too concerned
  2. stop using a V8 as a spec ski!! :whistle:
So I took their advice and went and bought a Fenn LS :-) I will continue to use the V8 as a flatwater and calm seas boat.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by swifty.

Latest Forum Topics