New v10 catching runners

More
10 years 10 months ago #17167 by Love2ski
I've always paddled a light carbon fenn xt. I'm very familiar with the boat and find I can catch small runners easily.

I've started paddling a new v10 which is much longer and heavier. I'm noticing catching small runners like boat bow waves etc are hard to get on. I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

Is that likely to be boat weight, greater length, or my familiarity with the boat?

Have others found the v10 catches small runners easily? I haven't taken the v10 out in bigger swells but my feeling is that it will catch those better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17169 by cheeseman
Heavy skis do better in bigger swells. Paddle harder on the smaller bumps.The new v10 is not a slow ski and is very easy to remount.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17170 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Re: New v10 catching runners
Love my new V10 catches any small bump very easily, it just wants to go. In bigger conditions it is even better.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17172 by Kayaker Greg
If your a smaller paddler, you might find it of help to shift your weight further forward, this is what I found with the difference between the shorter and longer skis that while the shorter skis catch the smaller bumps easier for me, the longer skis not so much so. If you think about it, a larger paddler would have a more front biased centre of gravity, shifting my seat position forward helps me on the longer skis.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17179 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New v10 catching runners
How heavy are your new V10 skis? Curious, since my 2011 V10 Sport is advertised at 35lb for the performance layup, but mine (and someone else's) were under 30lb actual weight... I am picking up a new V10 in the performance layup next week and I hope it too will be closer to 30 than to 35lb...

More
10 years 10 months ago #17180 by cheeseman
My new v10 come in at 16 kg or 35 lb. Hope it helps?

More
10 years 10 months ago #17181 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Re: New v10 catching runners
Thanks! Not what I hoped to hear, but it is what it is... Don't know if they forgot a layer or two on our Sports but that's a 6-8 pounds (3kg) difference ...

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #17182 by Kayaker Greg
Kocho, I think they must have beefed them all up more recently because I noticed the advertised weights all shifted up to what they used to be advertised. I know when I got my V10L performance they were advertised at 15kg, now I think the performance layups are advertised at 16kg. Never weighed mine to confirm however.

Oh just checked Epics site now they say 15.5kg, I'm sure there was a difference somewhere sometime? Its seems their Ultra layup has been beefed up to 12.3kg, thought they used to be around 11kg?

Also the V10 Elite is now 10.8, I thought it used to be around 8kg?

Ok this hasn't been updated for awhile, these are the weights that I remember for the various skis.

www.fergskayaks.co.nz/home/kayaks/produc...fsprint/epic-kayaks/

The Epic site has been updated more recently since the new V10 was released.

Actually if you hunt around there are different weights advertised depending on where you look.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17183 by Love2ski
I've had some more decent sessions over the weekend and discovered it isn't the v10 thats problem but me.

The v10 is much longer than the xt (around 65cm longer). However I am positioning the v10 on runners as though it was an xt. This is placing the v10 much further back on the swell.

By paddling further onto the swell I am catching it no probs.

Latest Forum Topics