New Epic V14

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
11 years 3 months ago #14977 by AR_convert
New Epic V14 was created by AR_convert
As there is a new V10 thread I thought a V14 thread would help in future searches of info on the different skis.

Got to paddle the V14 for about 10 minutes after a marathon race this morning. One of our local Epic reps paddled it in the race and I grabbed it as he came in to finish :)

Love the higher seating position, this is truly the future for fast ski's in marathon racing, it was ergonomically very comfortable.

The new easier to use retractable scupper started draining from a leisurely 6km/hr and was pretty quick too.

I love the big solid footplate, very welcome for my big feet and of course Epics adjustment system had me adjusted and paddling within about 15 seconds.

As I had just finished the race the was no way of knowing how the boat felt speed wise but it was surprisingly stable for the seat height. I did a couple of race start efforts as this will usually tell you if the stability is going to be an issue when applying max power and was fine.

If there is no loss of speed (you'd expect not) from the V12, I think this will be a popular ski to trade up to from the V12. I'd rate it as just as stable and for me I reckon the primary to secondary stability actually feels better in the V14.

This of course was on a river with just some boat wake to contend with.

I would have to paddle it for an extended period to see how the seat went with my rear end as I did detect a little pressure in the back corners of the seat bucket, but that's a personal shape thing.

www.epickayaks.net.au/V14-launch.html

Interested to hear others thoughts on the new ski.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 1 month ago #14984 by tony h
Replied by tony h on topic Re: New Epic V14
enjoyed this facebook post: unfortunately not from me - can't paddle that fast!.......

"I have had the Epic V14 demo boat for the last few days putting it through its paces. Its a really fast, fun boat to paddle. I did a 16km down wind in a good 20 Knot N/E tailwind its the best surfing boat i have paddled and slices through small chop making linking runs much easier. It picked up runs well and the cockpit was very dry. The bailer worked well i had it down about 1/3 of its maximum and this was sufficient for the conditions. I also did a local 10km weekly time trial in Sydney Harbour and the boat was very quick. The course is normally a mix of choppy confused water bouncing off cliffs and small harbour runs to virtually flat water. I normally paddle a Epic V12 elite and average about 12.4 kph Average for the 10km course. In the V14 i averaged 12.9kph. I know conditions can play a big part but it was a pretty typical day and the boat felt really fast.
Thanks Epic"

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by tony h.

More
11 years 3 months ago #14985 by tony h
I have enjoyed my v14 for 2 weeks now:

- stability better than expected
- ski runs nicely & when paddled with friends v12 (swapping intermittently) I was impressed with the design changes. I like the v12 but feel for me v14 offers advances that suit my needs better
- seat is very comfortable
- primary goal with this ski is to find a replacement for a K1 primarily for flat water paddling: after buying & selling several options in the last 2 years I imagine my search is over! if I do anything it would be upgrade the layup to lighter model in time.
- look forward to trying it in the ocean when conditions a little more sedate.

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16840 by kemi
Replied by kemi on topic Re: New Epic V14
What is the seat hight of the V14 compared to the V12 or the Nelo Ocean ?

Some of you own a V12, when adjusting the kickboard in the V14 I assume you moved it further away because of the higher seating. By how much ?
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by kemi.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16842 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: New Epic V14
I've only paddled mine twice in flat conditions but I really like the low height and low volume of the bow, the bucket, the narrow catch width and the little weedless rudder. I really like the overall ergonomics of this ski.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16843 by kemi
Replied by kemi on topic Re: New Epic V14
Dont you still need a weed guard in front of the weedless rudder on the V14?

More
10 years 11 months ago #16848 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: New Epic V14
Whether it needs one or not I don't know but mine has one.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
10 years 11 months ago #16849 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: New Epic V14

kemi wrote: Dont you still need a weed guard in front of the weedless rudder on the V14?

In my experience while the "weedless rudders" do a great job they are not totally weedless, weed does get trapped around the rudder post (gap between the rudder and hull). I put a weed deflector on all the skis I have owned. Would like a dollar for everytime I've heard a paddler complain about dragging weed during a race.

I one river race I did where I had a weed guard and a 3 inch weedless rudder I felt so bad for the guy next to me who had picked up huge chunks of weed I stopped and took it off him 3 times so he could stay with me, if he had have beaten me I would've been unimpressed :P

Getting back to the V14, my fellow marathon racing buddy who paddles a V12 raced one yesterday and liked it although he reckoned the bucket was norrower than the V12 he paddles which pinched him a bit. He couldnt speculate on whether it was faster as there was a tidal current running during the race and we were paddling amongst double skis and K2's.

I'm still trying to wangle a race in one, but as the dealer has been getting skis returned to him damaged he is reluctant to let people have the ski overnight on loan.

I paddled a Think Carbon Uno yesterday, loved the seat position, very comfortable, great run translating into boat speed, great footplate, my only gripe was the lack of rocker in the front of the ski meant I had to work my butt off to get through the bump caused by other boats wash and in some instances it meant getting dropped as the more nimble K1's passed slower skis I would get "Hung up" on the wash long enough to get dropped.

Tony or someone else who is paddling a V14 what is the rocker like in the front of the V14? How does it go getting through these wake bumps on flat water?

Incidentally I was telling another paddler about this and he had the same rocker issue with his Nelo ocean ski.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 10 months ago #16866 by tony h
Alot of the new skis - v14 / glide - have less rocker.

I have not experienced any issues described with the v14

Interestingly this last weekends Molokai in messy conditions had 4 x v14's in top 5 - conditions initially side chop & then head wind for latter half!

The following user(s) said Thank You: AR_convert

Latest Forum Topics