Re: V10 Sport Ultra

More
16 years 3 months ago #1465 by Dave
Re: V10 Sport Ultra was created by Dave
Question to Alian, when paddling out from a beach does the boat slap down on the back side of the wave? I have no fear of this in my fiberglass kayak, but how about the ultra?

Thanks,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1466 by Ritchie Cunningham
For big downwind conditions the V10 is obviously a brilliant design, but for its intended purposes the Sport is basically in the same league. Much of the stability of the Sport derives from the 19" wide aft section behind the seat. If you study the hull profile of this section from the waterline to the deck, the hull begins to gracefully flare (out) and gain width from just below the waterline carrying through right to the deck line. This flared shape starts at the hump between the footwells and the bucket, and extends all the way to the stern. Maximum beam is attained at the deck line.

Although the Sport has decent primary stability, its main strength is its secondary stability, which is tremendous, and derives from this wide flared hull shape. I may be wrong, but I think good secondary stability is most critical in big downwind conditions where aggressive paddling is required for gaining bursts of speed while surfing down and through swells, in order to continue linking into the bumps forming up ahead.

Having the stability to deliver 5 or 6 fast strokes while angling down a long steep face, can make all the difference between hopping over to the next bump or not. Sometimes at the top of a crest when you are just about to take off on a big drop, the hole in front of you might offer the option of a bigger or better swell to the left or right, and a burst of speed is needed to get the boat pointed over to the right direction. Basically, the Sport helps an intermediate paddler to paddle more aggressively in precarious situations.

Lastly, the Sport is 19" wide and is often compared to other skis that are 19" wide. I'm going to say that the Sport does not act like most 19" skis, because most of its beam is carried above the waterline, and up near the deck.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #1467 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra

when paddling out from a beach does the boat slap down on the back side of the wave? I have no fear of this in my fiberglass kayak, but how about the ultra?

I would not worry about slapping on the back of a wave, I don't know of any boat that has suffered damage from slapping the back of a wave. (I have felt my back and kidneys wince from slapping down after launching a peaking wave though). From what I have learned the Ultra is very strong structurally is but sensitive to sharp objects. Waves are fine but other boats, rocks and mother earth are potentially a problem.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1468 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
I paddled the V10 Sport today. Epic makes a real nice Ski! I found the initial stability to be less than that of the Fenn XT, or the Huki S1-R. The ski is stable and I became more stable after paddling for 20 minutes. The conditions were very mild (gulf of mexico). I did find some small waves 1-2 ft. but even these the ski picked up easely and eaccelerated well. I liked the ski a lot and with some conditioning and regular use I think I'll have a hell of good time in the ski!

David Toppi ;D

More
16 years 3 months ago #1469 by Craig vH
Replied by Craig vH on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
I read this thread with interest as I'm currently looking at changing skis and I'm toying with the idea of either a V10L, or V10S (though it's difficult to get first hand comparisions of these skis).

I'm currently paddling a Mark 1, and have been paddling for about 2 years, and I'm looking for something a little quicker and lighter to help me get to that next level. I was lucky enough to be offered a quick paddle on a V10S, although it was on flat water. My initial impression was that the V10S was more comfortable, more stable and seemed to glide easier than my own ski.

I'm intrigued as to the performance gains the author has seen following his purchase of the V10S, but perhaps he can clarify the following:

1). The ski is the Ultra lay up, and clearly a lot lighter and responsive (the local distributor was not able to say how much lighter the Ultra was than the glass version). How much of the performance gain is due to the lighter ski vs the design of the ski?

2). Did he try out the V10, or V10L? What is the stability vs speed trade off between these 2?

3). What ski were you previously paddling?

As an aside, I see to remember Oscar paddling the V10S when it was first launched in SA at the Durban Summer Series 2 seasons ago; and doing well...but then again, it is Oscar we are talking about.

I look forward to your response.

Congrats on an excellent site.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #1470 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra

I'm intrigued as to the performance gains

Technically there was no performance gain, I am still 2 mins off my best. Also let me be very clear that I finish races closer to the back of the field than the front. If the Sport was faster then all the top guys would be paddling them.

How much of the performance gain is due to the lighter ski vs the design of the ski?

Certainly the weight of the ski is a factor, you have 11kg less surfski to accelerate onto the runs. I think it is more about the design though. In choppy and downwind conditions the increased stability enables me to take a proper stroke instead of brace strokes and half strokes. Also being stable in the boat makes taking the drops down steep waves less daunting.

Did he try out the V10, or V10L? What is the stability vs speed trade off between these 2?

Yes I tried the V10 (not the Ultra). In the right hands it is a faster boat, I found it a big boat and less stable.

What ski were you previously paddling?

Fenn Mako6 and prior to that a Fenn Millenium. I have spent a lot of money finding the right boat me.

What I am saying is that you need to be honest with yourself in judging your paddling skill. Buying a narrower boat is not always going to make you faster, especially not in rough water.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1471 by mckrouk
Replied by mckrouk on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
I think Al does himself a bit of an injustice. Last season he was (just, and I mean just)) beating me in surfski races when he was on his glass mako6 and I was on an old Fenn Mako (pre-millenium), so he wasn't doing too badly on it. I like to think that I'm around the middle of the field usually. Since then this season I'm on a glass Mako6 too and have improved my times. Al hasn't been paddling much so I can't compare recent results, but now it seems I'm going to have to upgrade to a carbon boat to keep up with him. Perhaps me on a carbon Mako 6 and him on his V10S ultra might be interesting. It's like an arms race out there! Becomes a question of money too!

More
16 years 3 months ago #1472 by Craig vH
Replied by Craig vH on topic Re: V10 Sport Ultra
Thanks for the response Alain. I guess there is no easy "best fit" formula out there. I'll have to get both the V10L and V10S out on a demo, together with my old boat, to make an informed decision.

One thing is for certain though, a tippy ski in amatuer hands takes the fun right out of the sport.

Latest Forum Topics