What is the difference between V10 and V12 rudder

More
11 years 11 months ago #11358 by [email protected]
Does anybody know what the difference is, I mean is it shaft length diameter or angel. And how would one be able to tell the two rudder types apart ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11359 by Rightarmbad
V12 is longer, nothing else.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 11 months ago #11360 by Rightarmbad
Well in Australia anyways, as the V12 is supplied with the optional surf rudder.
In other markets it may or may not come supplied with the V12 universal rudder.

All is revealed on the Epic website.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 11 months ago #11363 by [email protected]
I am trying to get at weedless rudder for my V12 and where I bought the boat they have one. Since the weedless rudder for a V10 looks like a weedless rudder for a V12 I decided to do some research first. So I need information so that I can tell them apart, without me having to take my rudder off and do a compare in the shop.

Epic's website was not helpful in this matter or the web for that matter.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11364 by Rightarmbad
I have a weedless rudder in the shed.
It is drilled for both the V10 and the V12.

I'll measure it tomorrow and post up.

I never cut it to length for my V10, as if I use it, I can simply leave the rudder cover off while it is fitted.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11381 by [email protected]
That would be real helpful :) You say that the shaft is longer for the V12. Did you drill the hole in the shaft yourself, so it would fit the V10 or was it done at the factory ? My thinking here is, that if it were done at the factory, then if the rudder had 2 holes it would fit a V12. So that would be a pretty easy way to tell them apart :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11396 by [email protected]
Had a look at my V12 rudder, there is actually three holes in mine. One of them looked messed up, like the drill not only cut a hole but also moved down vertically at the same time. But anyway the length of the shaft is 16 cm/6.3 in. Armed with the length and the information about the three holes I was able to call the dealer and verify what rudder he had in stock. Lucky for me it was a rudder for the V12 :) Thanks for the usefull information ;)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11401 by Rightarmbad
V10 is 135mm or there abouts.....

• seema123
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11404 by seema123
There are differences between V10 and V12 with respect to the caching of access plans and the inlining of UDF's, though I would argue that the changes the engineering team have made are to correct known problems with the techniques implemented in V10 than with changing the underlying technology significantly.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11407 by Rightarmbad
Nup, sorry, the rudders are identical.
You can buy a rudder that is drilled for both both, just cut it short for the V10.

Looking at my broken rudders, all I see is twill weave over a foam core.
I don't think there are any uni-directional fibres in there anywhere.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11475 by Miller
The 3 holes drilled in the shaft is for the V12(Top hole) V10s(Middle hole)and V10(Bottom hole)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11480 by Rightarmbad
I dropped in to pick up a spare rudder a few days ago.
There were only two drillings and none of them fit my V10

This was one of the new titanium ones.

Seems there is still weird things going on at Epic in regards to rudders.
If I break my rudder at the moment I'll end up having to get one of theses wrong ones and drilling it myself.

Still a bit miffed that I can't simply walk into a shop and buy a rudder so I have it ready should I break one.

Latest Forum Topics