V10L Ultra vs Performance weight vs $

More
16 years 6 months ago #1037 by James L
I am about to make the switch to an Epic V10L

Hard decisions now need to be made between the red Ultra or the black stripe Performance model.

Can anyone help me through this by comparing the two?

Is the extra $ worth the weight saving and extra stiffness? Is it about the stiffness?

I am not a professional paddler and have spent the last year doing K1 work on our local river + couple of marathon events. I paddle 3 times a week for 1 to 2 hrs on flat water and am keen to get out to the ocean a bit.

I have tested the V10L ultra for a few days recently and it was awesome, did some ocean stuff (a humpback came up to check out the new ski!) and put it on the river next to a K1 and it kept up.. soo versatile

I have n't tested the performance model and am curious if the $ savings are better spent on a GPS unit and new paddle and mayb a trip....

advice appreciated

Cheers

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1038 by stuartknaggs
Opinion #1

Surfski is not like cycling where you have rotating masses and where you have to carry your machine up hills. Three or four kgs are unlikely to effect your performance. An elite paddler may get some extra performance out of the stiffer carbon boat but a recreational paddler is unlikely to notice a huge benefit. Then again, what number do you put on bragging rights to the lightest boat on the beach??

I'd go for the glass boat and the extra toys - but there again, I didn't get on well with the V10L.......

Stuart

More
16 years 6 months ago #1039 by [email protected]

Is the extra $ worth the weight saving and extra stiffness? Is it about the stiffness?

I can't really comment on the Epic skis because I haven't paddled them long enough to compare, but I can tell you my experience with the Fenn Mako6.

I bought a carbon ski (11.5kg) and broke it in waves at the first ARB World Cup in Durban, South Africa. After it was repaired I bought a glass ski (which turned out to 18kg) - the idea was to use it for training and social paddling and only to use the carbon one for races...

But I find the carbon ski such a pleasure to paddle compared to the glass version that I've hardly used the glass one - although I find it useful to have it on hand for visitors or friends who need to borrow it!

What's the difference? It may well be all in the mind, but I believe that the lighter ski accelerates more easily and that it just feels livelier and more responsive on the water. I think it's a combination of the 4.5kg difference, the added stiffness and perhaps a dollup of mindset!

I'd say, if you can afford it - go for the Ultra!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 6 months ago #1040 by gdickinson
I use the carbon v10 'red stripe'. I had to use a v10 performance in the US champs last week. I will tell you that in this sport...if you are going to spend time on the water getting fit & fast...anything less than a carbon ski is a joke..unless you ride a 5ft beachbreak. There is no comparison. Spend the money...and buy the toys boys.....when you drive a lightweight carbon into a run at sea...it it just takes off.it is worth every cent.

Latest Forum Topics