Kayakpro Gym Ergometer

More
12 years 3 months ago #9338 by Colnagodreaming
Has anyone used these in their training.. We all have windtrainers for our bike training which helps when one can't make it onto the road.

Im interested in the cost and usefulness of this sort of machine. What are the pros and cons as found by users out there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9342 by AR_convert

Colnagodreaming wrote: Has anyone used these in their training..

Im interested in the cost ?

I think the one Ramon Anderson was demoing at a recent Perth race was $3000. The ability to race others online would be cool!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 3 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #9347 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Re: Kayakpro Gym Ergometer
I have a Speedstroke and love it. It's an integral part of my training.

There's a very good review of the KayakPro Speedstroke Gym (SS) on this site, by Erik Borgnes. BTW, Erik leads a winter training group for paddlers who have a SS, with a weekly training program.

The SS is expensive -- basically the same as buying another kayak or ski. It took me a long time to bite the bullet and get one. I wanted a quality erg ever since I first used a (Dansprint) erg while in Sweden several years ago. I now consider the SS one of my all-time best purchases and highly recommend it.

Storage was initially a concern since the erg is long (necessary to replicate a smooth catch) and doesn't fold, but it slides up nicely against a wall. I keep it behind my coach on felt furniture pads and can quickly slide it into place for use.

The main appeal of the erg to me is that I can maximize my limited training time. Even with only an hour or so to spare, I can get a quality training session. Normally, just loading my kayak and traveling to and from the water takes 40 minutes or more.

It's warm enough where I live to paddle year-round, but work often makes it difficult for me to train on the water during the week. With the SS I can easily train multiple times per week.

While you don't get balance training on the erg (unless you make a tiling seat), the SS is very useful for work on technique and fitness. The action is smooth and feels like being on the water.

A long session on an erg can be boring, compared to being on the water, but the SS allows you to hookup the erg to a PC and large screen, where you can select multiple venues with very good graphics and race against live racers, or computer generated "rabbits". The software allows you to set these rabbits to your past-performances, or a set pace, so if you are competitive at all, you will not be bored. The software is not included in the purchase price and is not cheap, but I rarely use my SS without it.

The unit is well built and I haven't had any trouble getting questions answered by Gray or Steve. FWIW, I have no affiliation with KayakPro.

Greg Stamer
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by gstamer.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9352 by Boef
Replied by Boef on topic Re: Kayakpro Gym Ergometer
What's with the greenland paddles. Oil on canvass is much cheaper (but wouldn't look as retro!). Do you actually paddle these with surfski's, or are you a purist?

More
12 years 3 months ago #9354 by MhojoNZ
Replied by MhojoNZ on topic Re: Kayakpro Gym Ergometer
I had one but sold it and have since replaced it with a Weba Sport kayak erg.
The machine is robustly constructed and I am sure would last for years. Support from the manufacturers is excellent, and yes - racing someone on the other side of the world is good fun but the novelty of getting up at an ungodly hour of the day to race soon wears of.
Things I didn't like about the machine were the seat, which I replaced with a Nelo carbon seat and the paddle shaft, which is aluminium. Biggest drawback is that the monitor is very basic and doesn't allow for any kind of interval programming - just straight speed and distance. You also get heart rate and cadence but no power curve or L/R split. There are several different software packages available, which don't talk to each other and seem rather pricey at $US220 each.
Bottomline - a good machine but let down somewhat by the electronics/software.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9355 by gstamer
Replied by gstamer on topic Re: Kayakpro Gym Ergometer

Boef wrote: What's with the greenland paddles. Oil on canvass is much cheaper (but wouldn't look as retro!). Do you actually paddle these with surfski's, or are you a purist?

I love Greenland paddles, but I don't generally use them with surfski's or my K1. Greenland paddles are very versatile and are my first choice for sea kayak touring, especially long distance trips. The narrow symmetrical blades are great for rolling, bracing, blended strokes (bow rudders, stern rudders, draws, etc). Speed is very good, but I am faster with a wing in my "go fast" boats.

Greg Stamer

More
12 years 3 months ago #9357 by Colnagodreaming
Thanks for your feedback :)

More
12 years 3 months ago #9358 by Colnagodreaming
Many thanks Greg

More
12 years 3 months ago #9359 by Colnagodreaming
Thanks Mhojo. Do your comments relate to the Weba Sport or the Kayak Pro?

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9361 by MhojoNZ
KayakPro.

I actually wrote a review on the Weba Kayak erg but haven't got around to taking some pictures so never posted it.

I've attached it though

File Attachment:

File Name: Weba_Erg_Review.doc
File Size:259 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by MhojoNZ. Reason: Grammar

More
12 years 3 months ago #9363 by candela
Replied by candela on topic Re: Kayakpro Gym Ergometer
I might be needing one of these soon too.

How does the Weba Kayak compare in price? I had a look online but they don't list price.

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #9364 by MhojoNZ
I guess that depends on your location. Price for me was similar by the time you factor in the software. Weba did offer to airfreight fron Europe but that worked out a bit pricey. Fortunately there is a good distributor in New Zealand who had stock (shipped by container). I think Weba distribution is a bit patchy - supposedly it is via the Braca agents but you are more likely to find one with the Wattbike importer.

In Australia that is: Ph: 1800 237 738 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
In the USA: Damian Hessian, VP Sales and Marketing, Tel. 408 207 7004 Email. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Neither of these ergs are cheap but I bet you'll still be using your erg long after any of your current skis or kayaks! They are a great training aid for the time challenged, or those who live in cooler climates for whom winter paddling is a problem.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by MhojoNZ. Reason: Changed contact details

Latest Forum Topics